Meta

Hosted by DigYourGig

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

He's just been found to be incompetent   News

Started by amytrine; 1156 views.
amytrine

5/25/11

Sorry I can't post a link, but having 'puter problems.

Anywho, Jared Loeghner has just been found to be too metally incompetent to be able to stand trial.

This is the best I can do as far as posting. Is I violate fair use, then spank me with wet pasta.

Loughner found incompetent to stand trial

Jared Lee Loughner’s "major mental illness" leaves him so delusional and psychotic that he is incompetent to stand trial, a federal judge ruled today.

U.S. District Court Judge Larry A. Burns viewed hours of videotape of Loughner, he said, and agreed with the conclusion of the psychiatrist and psychologist who evaluated him: Loughner can't understand the court proceedings or help his lawyers.

"The defendant was generally unable to provide rational and coherent thoughts," Burns said.

...[...snip...]...

Burns ordered that new evaluations of Loughner be prepared by Aug. 31. He tentatively set a hearing for Sept. 21 but said it may not go forward if the evaluators find he continues to be incompetent.

A defendant can continue to undergo treatment and evaluation for months and even years as officials try to bring him to a level of competency that would allow him to stand trial.

Contact reporter Tim Steller at tsteller@azstarnet.com or at 807-8427.

Adjusted for more fair-ish use by GH.

• Edited 5/25/2011 9:07 pm ET by GreyHawk (greyhawk121)

Hat-tipped you here, and lordrag in the other thread:

Wednesday Evening Open Thread - Tuscon Twofer Edition
http://bit.ly/koimt2

amytrine

5/25/11

No problem. Ihope I didn't violate fair use, or whatever that is.

"Fair use" is basically quoting enough to get a general gist without violating copyright protection, which would be copying the entire thing.

You'd initially copied the entire thing, but that was what enabled me to find the original link and adjust the content down to what I thought would be fair-use fodder, so no problems. ;)