Lordrag

Pulling to the Left

Hosted by Lordrag|pullingtotheleft.wordpress.com

The news and politics hub! Pulling To The Left is a forum for discussion and debate of politics, news and culture from a progressive viewpoint, but conservatives and moderates are also welcome!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Hang on a second here...   News

Started 5/31/08 by Becca (SAPPHOS41); 1419 views.
Becca (SAPPHOS41)

5/31/08

Am I imagining things, or does this gas price temperature map look familiar? Specifically, think in terms of red state/blue state.

Or am I really just imagining it?

You're imagining it, of course.

I know, 'cuz I'm sharing the same delusion.

;)

Becca (SAPPHOS41)

6/1/08

The DailyKos entry has quite a few comments, and they're not being totally dismissive! I'm rather surprised by that as I was hoping I was really imagining it.

I don't have a DailyKos account, and I'm saving my pennies to afford buying a new set of wheels. So I guess I'll have to forego the pleasure of the tip jar, whatever that is. Still, thanks for doing this - it's interesting to see the responses!

A "tip jar" is just a way for people to let the diarist know they were there. ;)

DailyKos accounts are free, unless you want to buy a ad-free version -- I didn't. I'm a freebie. I think it takes 24 hours before you can comment, tho.

Becca (SAPPHOS41)

6/1/08

Eggcellent. I didn't read far enough, then. I went and created an account sappha58, but of course I can't post comments for 24 hours (or diaries for one week.)

>> I went and created an account sappha58, but of course I can't post comments for 24 hours (or diaries for one week.) <<

Cool -- so, tomorrow you could post comments. Most folks may have moved on to other works by then, but a few might still respond.

You ~could~, however, also create a free ePluribus Media account, and post immediately upon receiving the password (or the acknowledgement email or whatever it is).

;)

Peskydang

6/2/08

One could argue that the oil companies are trying to punish blue states, or milk them for more money, or whatever.

But if you also overlaid a population map, you'd see that gas prices are higher where population density is greater -- which also happens to be where you get most blue voters.

Lordrag
Host

6/2/08

And California adds a boatload of taxes, which inflates the already too-high gas prices.

Meanwhile the oil companies are engaging in price manipulation, making the biggest profits of any business IN HISTORY, and sitting back and laughing while kids die in Iraq and people lose their homes, their jobs, and give up "luxuries" like food so they can put gas in their tanks to get to work.

• Edited 6/2/2008 11:33 am by LORDRAG
Peskydang

6/2/08

A couple of my friends who have inside information about the oil companies suggest that the companies are also caught up in international politics as well, refinery problems, shipping problems, supply problems, etc.  He says it's not *all* the oil companies' fault and it's not all deliberate manipulation, and that their profit is about 8 cents a barrel. 

So while it's easy to blame the oil companies, I think we should take the time to inform ourselves of the facts too.