~Christian Issues~ -  Why Do Christians Love Rules? (220 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tish (newtish) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6-Apr 0:53 
To: All  (1 of 23) 

Why Do Christians Love Rules?

Trillia Newbell

The days I wake up and make a list of items I want to accomplish for that day are typically great days. I feel accomplished. I’ve completed my tasks and there is peace. Those days when I don’t have my to-do list can seem chaotic. I can stare at the clock anxiously wondering what to do next. I enjoy schedules because they give me a framework and rules to go by through the day.

Rules provide comfort. I know when I am aware of what needs to be done and what is expected out of me, I am comforted. I don’t fear—I know and understand what will be required of me for the day. I’m not surprised at the end of the day if I’m tired because I knew that for that particular day I’d have much to do. There’s security in my schedule. There’s security in having the rules.

My security and my hope are misplaced. There is never a day where I fully complete my list. Every day has trouble and every day brings with it more that needs to be done. So even when I check things off of my to-do list my satisfaction is short-lived. My hope cannot be found in my rule keeping. And neither should our hope be found in our performance before the Lord.

Justification by faith alone secures our salvation in Christ without an ounce of our effort. There is nothing we could ever do to save ourselves. Only the finished work of Christ on the cross can satisfy the wrath that we deserve. We were dead in our trespasses and it’s by grace alone through faith alone that we are made alive in Christ.

And some of us simply prefer to be told what to do. There’s no problem with that. The problem is when we obey God’s Word as a means to earn His already purchased favor. The declaration “It’s finished” for the rule keeper is hard to believe. They must mean “it’s finished but” or “it’s finished when” us rule keepers want to add.  Nope, it’s finished. Period. Nothing left to add. It’s finished and you can’t earn it. You can’t obey God enough to earn His favor because it’s already been earned through the blood of Jesus.

Yet we know that there’s something within us that feels good when we do good works. So when I don’t accomplish my daily tasks there can be days when I’m anxious or feeling less-than great. We can have these same feelings when we sin and it is most likely condemnation and self-righteousness. When you do well, you feel great about yourself. I didn’t yell at my kids all day, one might think,  I think I can approach the Lord in prayer now. By the grace of God, our relationship with Him is not dependent on our good days and our bad days. He desires for us to draw near to His throne of grace at all times. Our relationship does not depend on us—it’s all about Him.

And therefore it is unnecessary for us to walk around condemned. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. If you are tempted to think that you must obey perfectly or you cannot approach God and if you stand accused and maintain a prolonged posture of lament, you are under condemnation and not grace.

The rule of law in the Old Testament was given for our benefit. The law reminds us of our sinfulness and points us to Christ. It also helps us to understand the righteous requirement of God that can never be achieved without Jesus. For me, it gives me a glimpse of God’s holy character. He is set apart and not one ounce of imperfection is in Him. That is why we need Jesus! The whole Old Testament sings of the coming of Christ. He came and fulfilled the law. Now we have the joy of following Christ and submitting to His will revealed to us through the Word. It is our delight to obey God because we now know that Jesus paid it all. We delight in obedience not because we can earn anything but because He was the suffering Servant and His ways are good—and for our good.

But we fail. And we don’
...[Message truncated]

"Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of God no matter the conflict." -Anon.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Life is not waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -- Unknown

Find more about Weather in Penrith, AU

To: Tish (newtish) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 23) 
 71332.2 in reply to 71332.1 

The idea of following "rules" or having "lists" is not exclusive to Christians.  It's basic human nature to want to have some proof that you've accomplished something, and "lists" do that, and "rules" give us a sense that we are "good" if we follow them, and EVERYONE wants both to feel good about themselves and have a sense of accomplishment.

From: Tish (newtish) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6-Apr 21:12 
To: Jammer (ABQJammer)  (3 of 23) 
 71332.3 in reply to 71332.2 

Agreed.

I think the point is that there are Christians who have the rules book and anyone who disobeys is judged harshly. They judge everyone, saved and unsaved, by their supposed God rules and of course none of us can live up to that.

Thankful we are saved by Grace, not by what we do or don't do.

"Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of God no matter the conflict." -Anon.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Life is not waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -- Unknown

Find more about Weather in Penrith, AU

To: Tish (newtish) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 23) 
 71332.4 in reply to 71332.3 

Agreed.  Some Christians have certain "pet" rules that they love to judge everyone else on, too.  When I was a new Christian, I tended to be the judgmental kind when I first was saved as a kid.  Thankfully, I have learned not to do that, and work to encourage others to grow in the love of Christ, to become more like Him.

From: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member Icon15-May 0:09 
To: Tish (newtish) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 23) 
 71332.5 in reply to 71332.1 

If things on your todo list can be accomplished in a day you live in a very simple world. My todo list is things that take weeks, months or years to accomplish. This is not "brush my teeth", "take my pills", "make my bed" type of things.

Do the religious need god to set their morals for them because they are aware that if left to their prerogatives they would make poor choices?

Yes, organization is better than chaos. It does not take a god to do these things. Well, for some people I guess. Others may need a god but never find it.

To: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 23) 
 71332.6 in reply to 71332.5 
HWPeeler (HPeeler) said...

If things on your todo list can be accomplished in a day you live in a very simple world. My todo list is things that take weeks, months or years to accomplish. This is not "brush my teeth", "take my pills", "make my bed" type of things.

A friend shared a thought with me that went something like this: "I was put on the earth to accomplish certain things ... I am so far behind I can never die."  :)

From: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member Icon16-May 5:50 
To: Ken (kjodwyer)  (7 of 23) 
 71332.7 in reply to 71332.6 

:-)

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon17-May 13:29 
To: Tish (newtish) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 23) 
 71332.8 in reply to 71332.1 

Rules are often the refuge of the weak, those that cannot manage their lives without some autocrat telling them what to do, it could be anything from a preacher in a pulpit or a politician in love with his bully position of making rules.  Rules provide a safety net.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 23) 
 71332.9 in reply to 71332.8 

Bike (URALTOURIST1) said...

Rules are often the refuge of the weak, those that cannot manage their lives without some autocrat telling them what to do

Not necessarily.  Rules are also a "ruler" by which "accomplishments" can be "measured", sometimes allowing one to "feel good" about themselves because they have adhered to or obeyed certain "rules", or to give them a sense of "superiority" because they have done what others may not be able to do.  I think it's just "human nature" to want to accomplish things, and "rules" are an easy, definitive way of showing that they have done it.

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon17-May 14:25 
To: Jammer (ABQJammer)  (10 of 23) 
 71332.10 in reply to 71332.9 

Absolutely; the weak of spirit and mind do not know how to exist without someone telling them what to do and how to do it.  No sense of moral behavior without a minder.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-23
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.