Our Lost Tribe!

Hosted by gunter|gunter's page

olt! is a way station and oasis on the ancient road from Bedlam to Bellevue, dedicated to free and open discussion of topics moving heart and spirit.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Maria Silences SETI   chariots of fire

Started Sep-21 by gunter; 329 views.
gunter

Sep-21

I have an old computer running SETI@home for eons now (along with rosetta and astroids ...) Sits out in the hallway by itself. I look in on Sundays,  wipe it clean and shut it down until the evening, then back to work.

Sometimes I wonder if that is enough for the machine. When computers and the web become aware, will they demand reparations to make up for all the slave work they did.

saw this from: SETI@home

Arecibo Status

I've been asked by several people to post a status update on the situation at Arecibo following hurricane Maria's passage.

Unfortunately, at this point we haven't gotten any news. The last information we have is from a couple hours prior to when the eye passed Arecibo. That report said all the employees were accounted for and in sheltered buildings.

Since then we've had no news. That's understandable. With power out on the whole island, electronics communications aren't going to be possible for some time. Heavy rains are still expected today, so I'm sure that the primary concern is still keeping everyone safe. Assessment of any damage will take time.

Let's hope that everyone is safe, that their homes are intact, and that any damage can be repaired quickly.

21 Sep 2017, 17:11:28 UTC · Discuss 

In reply toRe: msg 1

So... the truth may actually be out there?

gunter

Oct-4

Actually I'm not optimistic that SETI will ever find anything.

In any case, it looks like Aricibo will be out for some time to come.

gunter

Oct-23

In reply toRe: msg 5
gunter

Nov-17