Our Lost Tribe!

Hosted by gunter|gunter's page

olt! is a way station and oasis on the ancient road from Bedlam to Bellevue, dedicated to free and open discussion of topics moving heart and spirit.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

90 Miles West of Central Park   currents

Started 6/7/05 by Paul (SNOTZALOT); 64786 views.
gunter

4/23/17

A new toy? 

how did they do it before the machines came along ...

gunter

5/16/17

so now what are we going to do with him?

Paul (SNOTZALOT)

5/16/17

Sunday dinner? You are a good chef, do you have a recipe?

gunter

5/17/17

mmm ...I'd rather not unless I happen to be stuck in the wilderness somewhere!

bshmr

5/19/17

Most carnivores speak well of woodchuck, which appears to be what the young critter in a huge trap is, meat.  BTW, around here they don't live very long in 'live traps', not like raccoons or squirrels. 

gunter

5/19/17

I don't know. It just don't look appetizing to me. Important: Don't forget to remove the scent glands!!

Woodchuck Recipes

Woodchuck, also known as groundhog, should be handled in accordance with the general rules for game in the field. The blood should be drained, and the entrails removed and the body cavity wiped clean. When hung for 48 hours, they are ready to the skinned and cooked.

Woodchuck meat is dark, but mild flavored and tender. It does not require soaking; however, many people like to soak it overnight in salt water. If the woodchuck is caught just before he begins his winter sleep, there is an insulating fat layer under the skin. Remove excess fat. remove 7 to 9 "kernels" (scent glands) in the small of the back and under the forearms. Parboil the meat of older animals; cook by recipes calling for chicken or rabbit.

Transfer meat to 1 quart clear water and soak 4 hours. Drain and dry meat. Place meat in a baking pan. Add beef broth, soy sauce, garlic cloves, jalapeno, onion, chili powder, parsley, bouillon cubes and white pepper.

more at WILD GAME RECIPES

gunter

5/20/17

so ... did you actually do it?

Kidmagnet

5/23/17

What I REALLY want to know is... which one of you guys is Larry, and which are his brothers Darryl?