HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Only Politics

Hosted by HWPeeler (HPeeler)

News and comments of current elections and political topics.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Half the adult population will be college educated by 2020.

Started Apr-7 by HWPeeler (HPeeler); 81 views.
HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Apr-7

According to the South Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo of April 8, 2018 more than half the adult population of South Korea will be college educated by 2020. How will America stand up?

70% of the adults by 2035 it says.

The problem? Jobs that fit those requirements will not be there.

Will they be exporting people or importing high tech jobs? Koreans are very industrious in my opinion. I predict an influx of industry.

America? Maybe 33% by 2020? But then we keep exporting these jobs to China, Japan, South Korea and elsewhere.

(trying to get a link didn't work.)

RGoss99

Apr-14

This is a theoretical problema. College educated is a goal, unfortunately to meet it we have lowered the standards, like inflation, the diploma, in many cases does not represent the education of an academic high school grad when I was in high school. This inflation has gone on for some time.Examples:

The traditional academic doctorates was so difficult, that the PhD was invented, but that was too difficult, so now we have field specific doctorates, as in DEd, DSW, etc.

The original M.A. was so difficult that teachers could not reach this step on the pay scale, so now we have an M.A.T.

In popular speech, what used to be called a community college diploma, is now called a degree.

And the high school diploma is so meaningless that, entering community college students have to take an entrance exam in math and English, to determine if they are eligible to take first year college courses. If they fail these tests, they have to take a remedial course, before they can begin their 2 year community college diploma.

When I was a high school freshman, I took Algebra I, based on my completing 8th grade, now many high school freshmen take basic math, or prealgebra (essentially 8th grade math).

A high school deploma requires 220 credits, of which Algebra I counted as 5 credits. However if a freshman starts with basic math, followed by pre algebra, then algebra, he has collected 15 credits, for the same work that only gave him 5.

In other words to achieve "half the adult population will be college educated by 2020" the solution is simple, lower the standards for the expression "college educated", the population will be no better educated then before, but has a piece of paper to provide the false arrogance of being "college educated".

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Apr-14

I spent a couple of years in South Korea. They do put education on a high standard, which makes their "50% by 2020" very solid. We would make a serious mistake if we continue to cheapen our education standards just to meet the goal.

Samurai (BushMesh)

Apr-14

Just schooling is not a enough to get someone an education, as my dad always says: "You never stop getting educated."

Just look at science and technology, there are updates every day!

stars

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Apr-14

I agree but schooling basics have to come first. Schooling sets definitions and basic theories that would take ten times longer to unravel on your own. Public schooling is not everything. There are technical schools and manufacturer's  classes, on-the-job- training and, of course, the Internet.

Samurai (BushMesh)

Apr-14

THAT'S RIGHT!!  thumbsup

Even in medical health science and engineering there are updates everyday!

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Apr-14

I was in the electronics and computer industries. Same thing in ongoing education. Formal education gives us necessary basics but not enough to function on the job. We just learn enough to learn more. relaxed

Samurai (BushMesh)

Apr-14

I often think I know nothing; everyday as time pass...

I think Plato said something similar...   relaxed