HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Only Politics

Hosted by HWPeeler (HPeeler)

News and comments of current elections and political topics.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is it Trump's fault?

Started 3/4/18 by HWPeeler (HPeeler); 174 views.
HWPeeler (HPeeler)

3/4/18

Okay, so Trump can not take credit for the stock market when it goes up but it is his fault when it crashes? What makes you think those who buy and sell stocks read Trump's tweets? It also followed Mars passing by Venus. Can you blame that? Just because two things happen about the same time does not mean they are related?

The value of US steel shot up after Trump put on tariffs. I imagine the same happened to aluminum.

How much will it increase the price of products using American metals?

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

3/5/18

When the market crashes, let me know who is president when it does, so far, no crashes for the incumbent, minor shifts and blips of not more than 1.9%, not even a correction, just a strong upwards trend of more than 20% since election.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

3/5/18

Is that 1.9% in a given day? It is down about 10%. Just profit taking I think. I don't think Trump has that much influence on those who buy and sell stocks. Specific stocks, maybe. The value of US produced steel took a rise when Trump talks about tariffs. People sold other stocks and bought steel. Wouldn't the market go down and up by the same amount?

|??? What made the market go up over the last year? Where does the money come from? Savings accounts? Off-shore banks? That's a lot of money.

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

3/5/18

It has swung on a given day as much as 10% at any given instant in time but bell to bell has been quite modest in the shifts.  For funds and most investors, the swings have been relatively slow, only day traders get excited with minute to minute shifts.

The invested funds come from exuberance of investors, speculation, greed, and the usual suspects otherwise.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

3/5/18

Well, was over 26,000 a short while back. Now about 24,000. Isn't that a drop of about 10% (rough numbers), not 1.9%.

Last year, or earlier, when the market was 24,000 everybody who had money to invest had it committed. Was it more investments that drove it up to 26,000? My question was, where did that money come from?

Now it drops down to 24,000. People sold when it was high. Expected, no surprise. Where are those profits setting?

Or do I not understand the market?

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

3/6/18

Slipping at 1.9% a day becomes 10% aggregate PDQ, that is what you are seeing.  Anything less than 10% in a very short time is not considered more than a correction.  Now if it did as in 1988 or so, that is a matter of concern, more than a 30% drop in a week or so and it STAYED down.