Knee Replacement -  TOLD YESTERDAY (454 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Kirra Pendergast (KirraPenderg) unread  (5 of 9) 
 23020.5 in reply to 23020.1 

I had my first TKR when I was 44 years old. It was my right leg and I was able to drive after two weeks. (I was off narcotic pain meds at this point.)

I wish you the best of luck with losing the weight quickly. Six months is a long time to be in pain.

Reply   Options 

To: Kirra Pendergast (KirraPenderg) unread  (6 of 9) 
 23020.6 in reply to 23020.1 

The best advise I can give you is to find a doctor with a solid positive reputation.  One that specializes in knee replacement and does a lot of them.  I was fortunate that my BTKR was done at a hospital with a ward dedicated to joint replacement procedures.  It's been 13 years now for me with no problems. (Knock on wood.)

From: Joanne (jlgonzo) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/8/16 7:55 AM 
To: Kirra Pendergast (KirraPenderg) unread  (7 of 9) 
 23020.7 in reply to 23020.1 

Hello!

Have you had an MRI done yet? 

BTW, I too had horses..my right leg went south about 35 yrs ago.  I put off the revision until about 6 years ago.  The nerve damage from my back just took my knee out.  (s1 nerve root was cut).  It's not a rough surgery (imo)  I chose to go from the hospital to rehab, and did not return home until I was absolutely stable. (HA, a horse pun).  But again, due to the nerve damage I have encountered a lot of soft tissue damage, and there is no other option but to attempt to repair with a 40% chance of success, or fuse.  Fusion is not an option.  So...I have a pain patch which works for my knees (yes, I've had both replaced)..and the other aches and pains...EXCEPT my low back.  That is absolute toast.  I'm in deep do-do.   So I've gone on way to long on this saga...but the long and the short of it is do what you think is best.   Let me know how things go...mmmkay?  

To: All  (8 of 9) 
 23020.8 in reply to 23020.7 

Hello all,

It is now over 12 years since my BTKR was done and my knees are still great.

You can see my story at 22850.1 .

While my new knees would withstand skiing, I have not gone back to the snow as the rest of my body is wearing out.

Barry

Sydney Australia.

To: Joanne (jlgonzo) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 9) 
 23020.9 in reply to 23020.7 

Hi Jo,

I had my first TKR in Dec/08 and a revision in Sept/14 as the tibial component detached from the bone and the implant was at a 45 degree angle.  I was very lucky, there was no infection.

8 months post surgery, severe lower back pain started as well as extreme nerve pain in the shin and outer calf. They said the back pain started as a result of the change in my gait post the revision.  It has not gone away and it's over 2 years now.  I had X-rays and an MRI which revealed I have severe degenerative osteoarthritis in 3 discs which never bothered me prior to the surgery.

You mentioned pain patches. Would you be so kind to explain how this helps you? You also said that it doesn't help your back pain and that surgery is not an option.

I'm seeing a 2nd ortho surgeon in Dec. There is some talk about back surgery as there appears nothing is helping my severe back pain, and that the nerve root in my back is responsible for the nerve pain in my shin.  

At a CBT course I am taking at the pain clinic, there is a woman there because she had back surgery for a ruptured disc and it failed.  They can't do anything more.  She is on morphine..!!

Needless to say, I think I will never subject my body to another surgery after the bizarre outcome of my revision 2 years ago.  Anything you can share would be most appreciated.

Best, 

Nelly

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-4 5-9
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.