Knee Replacement -  Revision - post op nerve pain, shin calf (137 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 3) 

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping that someone out there can give me some insights/help in my experience.

I had TKR Dec, 2008.  The tibial portion of the implant loosened, no infection, aesceptic loosening.

I had a revision Sept, 2014 which was successful according to my ortho surgeon's definition, "the implant is perfectly aligned".

I have not been off pain meds since this surgery, 50mg oxycodone and 8 Percocet daily and well as Wellbutrin for depression.  This has been adjusted up and down depending on when I can't tolerate anymore pain and when I feel I'm poisoning my body and try to decrease.

I have severe nerve pain in my shin and outer calf.  The Wasser Pain Clinic at Mt Sinai has diagnosed me with post operative neuropathic pain.

I'm at my wits end.  The pain has literally stopped my life.  I'm in bed most of the time and constantly searching for something to "save" me.

I have tried medical marijuana which doesn't help my pain at all but screws up my head.

I was on Cymbalta which helped a bit but went off it because of the side effects.  Similarly, I don't want to try Lyrica or other nerve medications.

I had radio frequency nerve ablation procedure performed 10 days ago on the 3 nerves in my knee, and now the nerve pain in my shin is even more painful and extreme. They say it takes 7-14 days to see if the procedure will be effective and it may not help the nerve pain in my shin at all.

I am taking a CBT course at the pain clinic which involves relaxation, imagery, restorative yoga, etc.  I was on the waiting list for 1 1/2 years and started the 10 week course 4 weeks ago.

I have hired the restorative yoga teacher last week for private lessons in the hope that I can unlock my rigid body. Under her instruction, as I also have low back pain which appeared 8 months after the revision, when I started to move a little bit more, I see that it can help.

Regarding the lower back pain that appeared after the revision, I had x-rays and an MRI which revealed that I have severe osteoarthritis in 3 discs.  Interestingly enough, prior to the onset of the pain post surgery, I never had back pain in my life, even though this degeneration has obviously existed for a long while.  They are suggesting that it activated because of the change in my gait after the revision.

My family doctor finally referred me to a second ortho surgeon for a second opinion and my appointment is this December.

If anyone out there has had or is having a similar experience I would welcome them to tell me about their experience.

As well, if anyone out there can provide some insight to my plight, I will welcome your words.

Thank you all very kindly,

Nelly

Ps.  I am 59 years old.

Reply   Options 

From: Joanne (jlgonzo) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/21/16 11:25 AM 
To: Nelly59  (2 of 3) 
 23022.2 in reply to 23022.1 

Holy Cow!

I had my 1st tkr done in my mid 50's, and the other knee done about 60'ish. I was due to have a revision,(rt knee) and two days prior to the surgery the Dr. canceled and shipped me to U of U. Went to U of U and was told 40% chance of success with soft tissue damage(which is what I have--along with undiagnosed knock-knees). So, Nelly, get a good pain management group to help you manage the pain. Make sure that you know what it is that is causing the pain. MRI's for sure...to check the complete aspect of the knee. Get in with a great Physical Therapist. It works. You will get the tools you need to manage the pain, and progress with life. There is no stigma with taking medication for pain. I am on a pain patch and 2 Percocet a day for break through pain. Along with 100mg lyrica bid. There is more to what I've had going on in my life other than knees. I've had two failed back surgeries..and my neck has been fused. *I used to ride some nasty bronc horses when I was young, and had no regard as to what would happen in the future.

So, to summarize, get your gp to recommend a 'Pain Management' group. If there is a Doctor out there that can fix soft tissue damage, make sure and let me know. ;-)

Take care, and keep strong & may God Bless xoxo

Click for Cedar City, Utah Forecast

• Edited November 21, 2016 11:30 am  by  Joanne (jlgonzo)

To: Joanne (jlgonzo) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 3) 
 23022.3 in reply to 23022.2 

Hi Joanne,

I'm just winding down after a very long day and was so happy to see your message..!!

I had my CBT class today with my fellow chronic pain sufferers and it was great - I'll write about this more tomorrow, as it was an emotional epiphany day for me and to write about it now, well, just can't, emotionally exhausted, but I will let you know it was a GREAT DAY for me..!!

I have some very good news to report as well....the severe shin/calf nerve pain in my leg is almost gone..!!  I fully noticed this last Friday when I was having my second private restorative yoga class....it's unbelievable....looks like the radio frequency ablation in the 3 nerves in the knee has worked.  So, that would make it about 16 days post the procedure.  I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop though, just can't believe it.  I don't see the doc that did the procedure till Nov 30 for the follow up.

If you would kindly excuse me, on this note, I have to call it a night...it's almost 10pm here and all I want is to hopefully slip into a long deep sleep....

I have a lot to think about.

Yes, your suggestions for a fully trained physio person has crossed my mind as well the last few days because I'm seeing how the restorative yoga is helping and I'm wondering now, that I've gained my will to fight again,  how a few sessions with a highly trained physio would help me..!!

Till tomorrow then,

Nelly

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.