Share Your Story -  My other knee has bit the dust! (94 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 1) 

I haven't been here for quite some time--I had a right total knee replacement in 2003, and this forum was SO helpful during the days before surgery (when it was all new to me!) and during the recovery period.  I've done fine with that knee ever since that time. 

However my left knee has finally decided it simply has too much osteo arthritis and structure issues and so now I'm preparing for it to be "updated and improved".  I have been getting regular cortisone injection about every 4 months, but the last on only helped for about 7 weeks, and now the knee is in constant pain.  The surgery won't happen for 7 weeks; I had an MRI done yesterday and the results are being sent to Zimmer Medical and a custom fabricated kneereplacement system is being made using the information from the MRI.  I have a new ortho from the previous surgery and since he works with a lot of athletes I'm hopeful that he will do a great job--he's the one who recommended the custom made joint replacement (which I had never heard of prior to that). He said he uses these on "athletic, active patients".  I'm 71 now, so this was very flattering to be considered "athletic".  I really am pretty active--until 3 weeks ago I walked 4-6 miles every day and was at the gym as well, doing additional aerobic activity and working with weights.  I also ride 15-20 miles on my bicycle a couple of days a week. 

So I'll be hanging around again, hoping to gain insights on the new-improved world of getting a new knee and reporting my progress.  I'm SO glad that On Our Feet is still here to offer help and encouragement.

Reply   Options 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.