Knee Replacement -  Left Total Knee Replacement (281 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 13) 

Hi All,

Looking for advice from others on when they decided it was time for the new knee. Was told 5 years ago I have bone on bone and arthritis and that I needed a TKR. Well, I lost about 50 pounds, pain subsided that I was having going up and down stairs so I decided against it at that time. In fact, I started doing a lot of jogging almost daily at that time without too many problems. Still had some pain sometimes and intermittent swelling but kept jogging anyway. The last 6 months or so, pain has returned going up and down stairs and a fairly consistent dull ache as well as constant swelling. The pain is not too bad. Manageable without pain meds. The biggest issue is swelling. Knee stays swollen all the time and it has greatly curtailed my exercising. Went to Doc and he says not much else he can do but give me another knee. He could aspirate but it would just swell again in a matter of days if not hours. He said when I'm ready for a TKR to let his scheduler know and we'll get it done. So when did any of you out there decide it's time? Like I said my pain is manageable. But, my physical activities have been greatly curtailed because of the constant swelling. I'm 56 which from what I hear is a little young for a TKR. If I lived another 15-20 years Doc said I would probably need another one. What has been the experience of TKR patients out there? Thank you.

Reply   Options 

To: jbeshears89  (2 of 13) 
 23043.2 in reply to 23043.1 

I had my first knee replacement 5 years ago when I was 66 and the other was done this past May. For me the decision was an easy one. My mother has arthritis in both knees and was afraid to have replacements done because she figured she would not live much longer. Now she is 90 and in a wheelchair in a nursing home because she can no longer walk. She is in fantastic health mentally and physically except for her knees. So when my knees started acting up I knew what the future held. They rarely get better permanently on their own. I managed with the pain but had to curtail my physical activity. When I went for my visit before surgery the nurse asked me what my paln level was and I said a 2. The doctor came in and said we don't do surgery unless your pain is much worse. I told him that my quality of live was suffering because I curtailed my activity so I would not have pain but that I did not want to live the rest of my life that way. So I had the surgery and am doing great. I can live my live and not be afraid of my knee giving out and I am no longer holding up my family while I try to manage to get from point A to B. It is a very personal choice for each of us. There are no guarantees that any surgery will be a total success or that it will last as long as we hope. Good luck to you with your decision. Ask questions and see a few doctors to get more opinions. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

To: pam127  (3 of 13) 
 23043.3 in reply to 23043.2 

Thank you for the insight. It's definitely curtailed my physical activity to the point I don't exercise as vigorously as I used to. Which also affects my stress level because exercise became as much of a stress reliever for me as the physical benefits. My daughter who is in her 2nd year of a Physical Therapy Doctorate program thinks I should go ahead and get it done while I still can on my own time and prep for it as opposed to waiting until the pain gets bad and I have to get it done quickly. Another issue on if I should have it done now is my wife has to have another foot surgery. If I get mine done first and it turns out well I think I can better help her with hers. Thanks again. I'll keep ya posted.

To: jbeshears89  (4 of 13) 
 23043.4 in reply to 23043.3 

Just to let you know I had a much easier recovery from my second knee replacement this past May. Part of it was knowing what to expect but I also think they have improved on the surgery technique. I was only in the hospital 28 hours and started out patient PT 5 days after that. Good luck to you and your wife. You are fortunate to have a Physical Therapist in the family!!

To: pam127  (5 of 13) 
 23043.5 in reply to 23043.4 

Thanks. Btw, did you have general anesthesia or regional? I've heard regional such as spinal block or epidural can make the healing and/or hospital stay a little quicker. One downside though is could be more painful post-op too.

To: jbeshears89  (6 of 13) 
 23043.6 in reply to 23043.1 
I had my first one done in 2002 when I was 59. The other one was done in 2007. I had no choice, bone on bone and could hardly walk.
The first one has now come loose and I need a revision, so they don't last forever. However, I think mine might have lasted longer but I have always been overweight. If I had it to do over I would have tried harder to lose.

To: jbeshears89  (7 of 13) 
 23043.7 in reply to 23043.5 

For the first one I had propoful and did not have to be intubated and a spinal. I did have pain after surgery. This time I had the nerve block in my leg and propoful. Really no pain after surgery. I did not take anything  for pain until bedtime that night. I was able to bend my knee right away and there was much less swelling and bruising. I also have been doing pool therapy twice a week since 7 weeks after my first surgery and resumed it 7 weeks after this surgery. It really helps me. 

From: Patt (noble521) DelphiPlus Member IconOct-7 11:42 AM 
To: jbeshears89  (8 of 13) 
 23043.8 in reply to 23043.1 

Hi & Welcome to the forum,

I had my RTKR done in Dec 2009. 

I had been told about 5 years before I would need one & my Dr was not going to force me into it because I would know when the time was right for me. He was right. When my brains & emotions are in the same place that was the right time to do it. For me, it wasn't the pain so much as--like others---not being able to do much activity because I couldn't walk very well. I had to stand 1st before walking to make sure I could balance. Then I would walk. During that time I did my research on it. What to do, what helped others. Such like that. It all helped. This forum was one that I went to on a daily bases. The people here, at the time, were very helpful.

I had a spinal & a nerve block. I was in the hospital about 4 days. I was able to get by on Extra Strength Tylenol at home. I kept careful notes on when & how much I took. I was mainly alone in my recover. Even though I was living with my mom, being in her late 70's, she was not going to be much help.  Which is why I kept notes. I had in home care, RN & PT for the 1st four weeks. Then it was Out pt time. I went from walker to cane to on my own fairly fast & I was driving around 7 to 8 wks after the surgery.

Hope this helps. Have questions please feel free to ask me. 

To: Patt (noble521) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 13) 
 23043.9 in reply to 23043.8 

Thank you for the insight. I was thinking about the spinal and/or nerve block as well. Were you aware of what they were doing during you're TKR not being under General Anesthesia?

From: Patt (noble521) DelphiPlus Member IconOct-7 12:02 PM 
To: jbeshears89  (10 of 13) 
 23043.10 in reply to 23043.9 

No, my Dr did put me to sleep. So I was not aware of what was going on. I did have apnea (sp?) while I was under. I have since found out I have a deviated Septum. So I'm sure that had something to do with the apnea (sp?). I had read about the nerve block & it did help a lot. 

I had my surgery about noon & was sitting up at the side of my bed about 10:30 at night. I can tell you my back did hurt that day of surgery. Not sure if it was the spinal or the fact I was in bed most of the day. I was up in the chair in the morning. Walking the halls with a walker. I had a 90% bend & when I went home it was up to 93%. At the time I was discharged from Outpatient I was up to 125% bend. 

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-13
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.