Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should animals wear clothes?   The Natural You: Wild Kingdom

Started 12/9/14 by Cstar1; 1740 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Risa (Risa25)

Mar-4

Am ok with coats or sweaters for dogs who must be walked in cold weather, but otherwise no. I would NEVER put clothes on my cats!
Showtalk
Host

Mar-4

I wouldn’t either. I’ve tried hats before. It did not go well for the hat.

The climate here and really in most of the continental United States south of the Mason-Dixon Line and along the Wet Coast is not cold enough to need to clothe animals.

However ,there is a Russian couple who have rescued a puma and a cheetah, who have made warm clothing to walk these big cats and let them play in the snow during the harsh Russian winter. Apparently they are in the southern part of Russia, but then even there winter can be brutal, as Napolean's army found out the hard way, then Hitler's army about a century later.

So clothing for critters is a qualified "maybe", depending on the climate. I have seen pictures of things such as leggings for horses, jackets for sheep that have been freshly shorn to keep them from getting too cold, and other livestock clothing, and of course in Medieval days they even made things like chain mail for horses.

Thus, throughout the centuries, some types of clothing to dress animals (usually working animals) in, has been done to permit them to function in harsh climates. However, in affluent places in the US with clothing on dogs and cats, it's just silly vanity on the part of the people owned by the cats.

An attempt to dress a domestic cat in my mind would only be for comedy value - a chance to laugh at the silly person who has delusions that a cat will let you dress it, or not claw it up and leave a trail of debris trying to get free of it.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-6

They were allowed to keep the big cats? Usually that is illegal.

People use Musher’s Wax for dogs if it’s extremely cold, but mostly to protect them from salt on the ground.  Dogs don’t need booties and they can fall off.

Showtalk said:

They were allowed to keep the big cats? Usually that is illegal.

That's why they are in Russia. Not in the jurisdiction of places where it's illegal. They are the reason that puma and cheetah are alive.

The puma thinks he's a huge house cat. They have also been obedience trained. There's two YouTube channels for their oversized kitties.

Pumas (mountain lions) are part of the Felidae family like house cats. They can purr and meow. So are cheetahs. Both of them do purr quite loudly. I forget how many million subscribers they have to their channels.

Evidently people aren't micromanaged in Russia following the collapse of the Soviet Union compared to how most people are micromanaged in a typical American suburb.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-13

Really? I didn’t know that. Our politicians make so many laws at the state, county and city levels.

Is mise. (Altermahn)

Mar-16

Absolutely. I HATE to see people dressing dogs and cats in outfits to gratify their own wishes. 

Showtalk
Host

Mar-16

I don’t care for it either, unless it’s very cold and the animal needs it.

Evidently when the USSR collapsed, from a standpoint of burdensome and onerous laws, it was like a reformat of the hard drive. Started with a blank slate, so there hasn't been enough time to pass the volumes of laws that hamstring most people in the rest of the world.

In that power vacuum, some interesting things kind of flourished. How long that can continue, who knows.