Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should birth control pills be sold over the counter?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Feb-12 by Cstar1; 472 views.
Cstar1

Poll Question From Cstar1

Feb-12

Should birth control pills be sold over the counter?
  • Yes11  votes
    68%
  • No5  votes
    31%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes 
No 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Cstar1
Host

Feb-12

In reply toRe: msg 2
me (DENNIS4927)

Feb-12

I'm going to say yes but with a age of 18 or older.

Cstar1
Host

Feb-12

Why do you think there should be an age limit?

There are no age limits to condoms, or to Plan B emergency contraception. 

Why should bc pills, which have proven to be safe and effective be reserved only for adult females?

In reply toRe: msg 4
ANNMTM

Feb-12

Yeah, 'cause we certainly wouldn't want to prevent pre-18 year olds getting pregnant...*rolls eyes*

Whether they should or shouldn't be, 17 year olds and under are having sex. Putting the age limit on getting contaception just makes it pretty certain 

that the teenage pregnancy rate will go up.

I actually don't know that this is a good idea. There are those for whom bc is problematic. I think I'm more inclined to keep a doctor in the mix. Haven't voted in the poll yet.

In reply toRe: msg 4
me (DENNIS4927)

Feb-12

So if my 10 year old granddaughter goes in she should be able to buy them with no questions asked.  Here in NH you have to be over 18 to buy a bic lighter and you have to show you ID. No matter how old you are.If a teenager. Wants them or needs them then her parents or someone can get rhem. I guess I'm just old fashioned or just plain old. It appears Im all ways on the other side of the of the street in here

ANNMTM

Feb-12

That's a point, of course. I really think it's better to keep a doc involved. 

Cstar1
Host

Feb-13

If your 10 year old granddaughter is having sex, you've got more problems than can be answered with a pill.

But yes, she should be able to buy birth control pills. Getting pregnant at 10 is DANGEROUS, not to mention unconscionable on the part of the adults in her life.

BWArtist

Feb-14

grandpa to grandpa,

Puberty shows up earlier now. At least it did for me.

BWArtist

Feb-14

I've been noticing lately that at least in US, it's easier to find a nurse practitioner. And if we were to take the religious  issues out of it, logic would dictate that the most favorable medical situation would be the school nurse practitioner. School staff are usually the first to notice sexual interest and activity. But many parents would choose denial and sometimes even open hostility  towards the messager. Especially when the messager was also holding birth control pills.