Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should birth control pills be sold over the counter?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started 2/12/18 by Cstar1; 4777 views.
Showtalk

2/21/18

Kids probably need to administer their own meds with supervision.

RGoss99

2/22/18

The problema is that they are not, or incorrectly, or over supervised, depending on the case.

They can, and will, get the pill anyway.

In the American system, a pharmacist is simply a perscription filler.

Here, under our national health system, a pharmacist is also a counselor and as such

knows more then the average parent what is physicly best for the child.

This issue for those who would vote no, is a doctrinal religious one, pretending to be a moral one

hiding number the classification of Christian, even though Christ had nothing to say on the subject.

ANNMTM

2/22/18

Those who would vote no on what? Birth control over the counter? 

RGoss99

2/22/18

i THINK THAT WAS THE THREAD TOPIC.

Showtalk

2/22/18

Pharmacists should have access to information about other medications their customer is taking, so they can view interactions.  If a patient uses the same pharmacy for everything, the information will be available to them.  Pharmacists should only do what they are trained and licensed to do. Here they also give shots as well as advise on medications. I don’t know what you mean by counselor.  To me, that means a therapist of some kind.  I think you mean something else.

ANNMTM

2/22/18

Just clarifying. No need to shout.

I am not religious. I vote no for health reasons. I want women (of whatever age)  to have access to safe, effective birth control. That's not the pill 

for everyone, and a doctor should determine that, in my opinion.

RGoss99

2/23/18

Not shouting, but the pill is both effective and safe. "over the counter" does not equate to "off the shelf" (as with condoms. Here the pill and other birth control ítems are over the counter wiith the advice of a pharmacist. BTW in most of America a pharmacist, or his Clerk, is merely a perscription filler. Here they function in many áreas limited to physicians in the U.S. So if a Little girl age 5 asks for birth control pills, he would probably say no, however if she passed puberty, the answer would most likely be yes, after some discussion regarding the girl´s overall health and other needs. If a pharmacist says yes to a postpubertal girl of 11, her mother has no say in the atter as the issue is between her and her mother. A related difference to the U.S. context, is that the pharmacist has on line connection to the national healh service, punches in the girl´s number, and the request, and a blinking red light tells the pharmacist, that in this case, the girl will need to see a physician first. One of the ways around the "sinful" objection to the pill, is that it is commonly prescribed to young girls for problems with their monthly cycle. So there is no evidence that going on the pill equates to premeditated sexual activity.

The justification for easing access to the pill, is all the tragedies related to those cases where the pill was not reasonably accessable.

smilingeorg

2/23/18

I see what you're doing her.  Trying to pull Americans into this century on a level with western Europe. Difference is the religious influence here in the states that doesn't exist in Europe. Every progressive movement is a fight in the US. Even health insurance it seems like people don't want it. Of all industrial developed nations in the world tyhe US is the most backward and the main reason is the moronic religious believes of its people. 

ANNMTM

2/23/18

This was meant for  Rgoss99.

ANNMTM

2/23/18

As you point out, what you have in Spain is not what we have here. Pharmacists here fill prescriptions and sometimes give shots (per both you and Showtalk). As I doubt that a change to that is coming, I'm going to stick with having a medical doc, or, as Cstar suggested, a nurse practitioner or physician assistant completely versed re: birth control measures be involved. Kids here (California) can get birth control before age 18 without parental consent, but it goes through a doctor. I'm sure there are other states where that isn't true. I am in favor of the CA way. Kids are having sex whether adults like it or not. I want them protected and informed of all consequences possibly associated with the act. I don't think pharmacists have time nor are they trained for that.  I don't think that will change anytime soon, either. Therefore I vote keeping medically trained people involved.

btw All caps is considered shouting on the internet. Looks like your caps lock was on, then.

• Edited February 24, 2018 12:05 pm  by  ANNMTM