Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you afraid of storms like Hurricane Dorian?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Sep-6 by Showtalk; 392 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-8

Yes it does explain it.   The south gets more earthquakes than you do.

YWN666

Sep-9

The media might try to terrify you but we all should have a healthy fear of hurricanes.  Unfortunately, those people who decide not to evacuate when ordered to do so will put the lives of emergency personnel in danger when they suddenly realize how stupid their decision was to stay.

I have a buddy on the NY City Fire Dept who was assigned to evacuate neighborhoods before Hurricane Gloria hit in the 1980s. If anyone refused, he asked them how many people were in the house and then wrote that number on their front door.  When they asked why he was doing that, he said "we have to know how many bodies to look for in the wreckage".  That usually prompted a good number of them to pack their bags. Another trick was to ask them to write their SS# on their arm with a Sharpie.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-9

I agree. Why won’t people evacuate when they know they are in potential danger?

YWN666

Sep-9

You also have little warning of an earthquake.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-9

None really. There is a warning app but it is only sent to people within a very short distance of the epicenter.

YWN666

Sep-9

Showtalk said:

I agree. Why won’t people evacuate when they know they are in potential danger?

Ignorance and fear.  I'd think that someone telling me "you will die if you stay" would be enough to change my mind.  I remember a story about Hurricane Camille back in the 60s that hit Florida bad.  There was one apartment complex where some of the residents decided to stay and have a "hurricane party".  The building was completely demolished by the hurricane and they all died.  That's Darwinism in action.

ANNMTM

Sep-9

Your friend saves a lot of lives that way! Good thinking.

• Edited September 9, 2019 12:46 pm  by  ANNMTM
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-9

Poetic justice.

I would leave without a second thought. I could stay with friends or relatives. Maybe they can’t afford to travel and have no place to go.

YWN666

Sep-9

ANNMTM said:

Your friend saves a lot of lives that way! Good thinking.

From what I understand,  it is a common practice with fire departments/police.  It certainly gets results.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-9

This is tragic for residents. They have no place to go.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LoyVaFf7Jg