Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you agree with the California school suspension ban?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Oct-15 by Showtalk; 202 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Oct-15

Do you agree with the California school suspension ban?
  • Yes, students who disrupt class should not be punished at all0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, students should be themselves in class without fear of punishment1  vote
    10%
  • No, schools need that threat to make students behave3  votes
    30%
  • No, kids today are out of control4  votes
    40%
  • I'm not sure0  votes
    0%
  • Other2  votes
    20%
Yes, students who disrupt class should not be punished at all 
Yes, students should be themselves in class without fear of punishment 
No, schools need that threat to make students behave 
No, kids today are out of control 
I'm not sure 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Staff

Oct-15

I didn’t link to every article.  They did say that African American and LGBQT Students were targeted more often.  One article also said those students were more likely to be defiant against authority.  Does that mean they behave worse than other students or do they fight back because they are mistreated more.  ie. which came first?

WWW3
Staff

Oct-16

A very complex issue that cannot be resolved by a law forbidding punishment. 

1. Students who disrupt class SHOULD be punished, but not all rule-breaking is a disruption worthy of suspension.
2. All individual rights stop at the end of another person's nose. Students' rights to be themselves end when their actions have an adverse affect on others' learning.
3. "...threat to make students behave." Threat? Make?
4. Kids today are not out of control. They're kids. Testing the limits is what kids do - it's in their job description.

There is also the issue of unequal punishments for minority (including LGBTQ) students as opposed to white students. This is well documented. Passing a law letting students know there is no punishment for misbehavior is, in fact, going to provide equity by eliminating the consequences for everyone. Of course, that's not really a solution.

I'm starting to ramble. Bottom line: This law is just another effort which will not help students, will hinder teachers, and will benefit only administrators and politicians.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Showtalk
Staff

Oct-16

That is an excellent post.  How does the law help politicians? How does it help administrators if they now have to deal with out of control students?

Song~ (_Song_)

Oct-16

Yes, no and sometimes. These 'One size fits all' rules fit no one for the better.

WWW3
Staff

Oct-17

One of the criteria on which schools are rated by the states is number of suspensions. Fewer suspensions means higher ratings. Ratings are attributed to administration.

Politicians will claim credit for solving a problem which hasn't really been solved.

(I acknowledge the oversimplification and cynicism of the above.)

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-17

I agree with you on that.

In reply toRe: msg 7
Showtalk
Staff

Oct-17

It is all about the spin.  I know a few children who were harmed by district policies. Not this one because it’s new but overall.  Public schools work best for good students, who are well behaved and follow the rules,  

In reply toRe: msg 7
Song~ (_Song_)

Oct-18

Along with that expelling students don't count against the schools performance rating. Students that would bring down their 'No Student Left Behind' numbers is more likely to get expelled. The whole thing is rigged against students with problems, and little old Betsy is just making it all easier to throw students under the proverbial bus.