Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How Much of Your Human Communication Requires you Having the Last Word?   The Social You: Interactive

Started Nov-18 by BWArtist; 214 views.
BWArtist

Poll Question From BWArtist

Nov-18

How Much of Your Human Communication Requires you Having the Last Word?
  • 25% for I'm a reasonable person5  votes
    50%
  • 50% I'll be right and 50% you'll be wrong1  vote
    10%
  • I have too many old words to organize any new opinions.1  vote
    10%
  • 100%! if my world is to go on.2  votes
    20%
  • I carry no opinions so I can't be held responsible for what everyone else has...0  votes
    0%
  • Other1  vote
    10%
25% for I'm a reasonable person 
50% I'll be right and 50% you'll be wrong 
I have too many old words to organize any new opinions. 
100%! if my world is to go on. 
I carry no opinions so I can't be held responsible for what everyone else has... 
Other 
Showtalk
Staff

Nov-18

Online or offline?  

ANNMTM

Nov-18

I'll argue 'til the cows come home if I think I'm right, but proven wrong will admit it. I don't know everything, so will not say I do when I don't. 25% sounds about right.

WWW3
Staff

Nov-19

Earlier in my life I always had to have the last word.
Eventually I learned a pointed silence is often much more effective.

BWArtist

Nov-19

I don't know. I was assuming we consider ourselves graduated out of the basement, tossing away our tin foil hats. But you make a good point. There  is a difference. Which has caused one of my old memories to show up like a David Caradine style Kung Fu flashback....

I was twenty something. Working in a long wall panel coal mine, that took a lot of back labor carrying concrete bags to the working face. In short the working conditions were intense with a high number humans for carrying out the tasks. 

One important rule was NO SMOKING underground. But there is always someone that will try to disregard what has proven to be known. Deciding for all of the other workers that their opinion will rule. Needless to say that this fellow spent the rest of the day trying to crawl out of the mine with nothing but soggy smokes.

So yes you are correct. There is a difference between physical communication and online stubbornness. And both depend on some defense of personal ego. And probably would determine self righteous behavior in different ways.

In reply toRe: msg 3
BWArtist

Nov-19

25% seems like it would be a healthy amount. Mixing in some humility here and there.

In reply toRe: msg 4
BWArtist

Nov-19

Do you think there is a certain amount of relationship experience that has been invested so others can better interpret your silence?

I had a grandma that could tell my grandpa what to do without sayin a word. 

Showtalk
Staff

Nov-19

People can hide online, so I have seen far worse last-word fighting on forums than in real life.  I’m about 25% but only if I am sure I am right.

Is it last word of you are hosting a forum and feel like you need to reply to every post?

ANNMTM

Nov-19

No, it isn't you are just encouraging participation.

Showtalk
Staff

Nov-20

Trying!  Plus this is a fun place to hang out. There are so many big topics.