Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are Impossible Burgers bad for us?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Nov-26 by Showtalk; 1945 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Dec-4

He may have grown up with an unhealthy lifestyle.

kizmet1

Dec-4

I think in those days it was called affluent.
Showtalk
Staff

Dec-4

Yes, it was.

BWArtist

Dec-16

Can't find much about of the soy blend  history I remember about Griffs burger bar. When I was a kid, Griffs sold a 15 cent  burger alternative to an all beef patty from the other places. I liked them ! But my family raised their own beef and so I was sensitive to the taste of purity.

I think any  word about 15 cent soybean burgers in today's market, would be discouraged to give out as general information. If anyone finds the old soy burger recipes, I'd appreciate the forwarded information.

Showtalk
Staff

Dec-16

Is this it?  I’ve never heard of them before.  Do you have any idea what was in them?

kizmet1

Dec-18

Where is Griff's located?
kizmet1

Dec-18

I don't know why people like soy burgers. People in the Middle East have been eating Falafel, a fava bean burger type food for centuries. Some make them using garbanzo beans. Beans are very easy to use now that there are so many electric appliances on the market for grinding and mashing to perfect consistancy
I think America has od'd on soy, period.
BWArtist

Dec-18

Griffs was an A Frame structure . Like Der Wienersnetzel.  I was a kid that had a friend that worked at Griffs. I remember when Griffs showed up in town,Mcdonalds started to promote their product as completely 100 % beef.

We have always raised our own beef and contracted small custom packers to process our carcasses. I remember going in with my mom to supervise the cutting into various cuts. The small processors would provide a large window so customers like my mom could view the workers quality of processing our order. This gained the confidence of farm women to bring their animal in to them instead of doing the work on the farm. 1960s standards of customer service that is pretty much unheard of now.

Anyway ,we were supervising one of our packing orders and we noticed a purplish blue bull carcass hanging in another room. We asked where that well aged bull was going to. Which the answer was McDonalds. 

This is before all the regulation as to what your burger was made of. My friend and I always considered them 25% beef and the rest a soy type  of filler protein. We were kids that knew we weren't eating real beef. That's all we knew.

BWArtist

Dec-18

I have to watch carb intake nowadays but I've always appreciated chickpeas. Shouldn't really eat too many of them but I found  new Barrilla  pasta products I'm going to try. They even have a penne product made  from red lentil.

Soybeans are more economically favorable to the midwest farmer. Chickpeas are less tonnage per acre and do better grown in the deep south.

• Edited December 18, 2019 7:20 pm  by  BWArtist
BWArtist

Dec-18

I think they started in KC Missouri. I can't find any info on the original 15 cent burger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griff%27s_Hamburgers