Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How old were you when you got your first job?   The Curious You: Beliefs and Ideas

Started 12/10/19 by Showtalk; 1156 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Risa (Risa25)

Mar-4

First job was full-time when I was 16, doing benchwork in a factory with no AC and noise that caused permanent hearing loss. I hated it, but it made me determined to get into college so I'd never again have to work at a job like that.
WALTER784

Mar-4

I was 12 years old when I started my first job. It was mowing lawns for my neighbors. $3 ~ $5 per lawn depending on the size and obstacles in the way.

Apparently the neighbors enjoyed the way I cut their lawn and they recommended me to their next door neighbor and before you knew it, I was making more than $80/month and it just continued.

By the time I was 17, I was making upward of $200/month due to the increased "word of mouth" sales! And that was back in 1974!

After I graduated high school, I started working as a shoe salesman for JC Penny's in the day time while working part time at a local Taco Tico at night.

Then I joined the Navy and picked up my technical skills and after I got out 4 years later, started in my Information Technology role making more than $3000/month.

And I've constantly continued my IT role changing companies 7 times also constantly increasing my salary until the end of last month.

I turn 63 this month and thus am retiring! But will never ever forget my first job!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-4

That will do it.  I had a similar job and I was not very good at it.  I quit before I could get fired.  It takes skill to work on a line, but it’s definitely not for everyone.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-4

You retire early there.  My first jobs were all babysitting.

WALTER784

Mar-5

Showtalk said...

You retire early there.

Until 3 years ago, the average age for retirement was 60 years old.

But as Japan has a large elderly population, they upped the retirement age to 63 and I understand that either this year or next, they will up the retirement age again to 65!

So I get my company's retirement pension this month (quite nice actually as I've been working there for more than 16 years) and also start to collect my retirement paychecks as well.

And I visited the retirement office last month to find out what kind of retirement pay I should expect and was pleasantly surprised. They have me on record for paying 428 months worth (38.5yrs) into my retirement, and the amount I paid in was commensurate with my salary. And as I've had a fairly decent salary all along... my retirement will be larger than I initially expected. Very pleased in fact.

Home mortgage was paid off 7 years ago, last car loan was 2 years ago and thus no really big outstanding loans to pay what so ever.

I might pick up a part time consulting job working a few hours a day for a few days a week, but will cap the salary such that it doesn't cut back on my retirement pay!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-5

The age in the U.S. was 65. I heard it was going up but never checked.  Being self employed, it doesn’t matter so much...

What will you do with all your free time?  That compensation package sounds very nice!

WALTER784

Mar-6

Showtalk said...

That compensation package sounds very nice!

Compensation package was great. And I've been saving $1,200/mo. for the past 6.5 ~ 7 years too which used to go to pay off my mortgage.

Showtalk said...

What will you do with all your free time?

I'm going to start a vegetable garden in our front yard planting mini tomatoes, carrots, Chinese cabbage, cucumbers, Japanese long radish, asparagus and perhaps a few other vegetables.

I'll also increase my deep sea fishing from once or twice a month to perhaps once a week!

And I'm not sure yet, but perhaps will start a little bit of remote IT related consulting work so long as it doesn't cut into my retirement pay. Many of my past customers would really enjoy paying me a lot less than they paid my company for assistance on a project by project basis. But need to start looking into that. I couldn't have done it while I was still employed.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-6

That is a good plan.