Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you ever cross party lines when voting?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Feb-13 by Showtalk; 1773 views.
Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Mar-7

Why is it that Hispanics are often the only groups considered in TOEFL situations?  What of all the Asian children that run rampant in school, clobbering every other ethnic group on a regular basis, often with parents with little to no English background, even at home.  There is more than a cultural difference, there is a cultural chasm filled with sharks and predators to hear the pundits tell, the Hispanics cannot learn English effectively due to this and that excuse, none of which seems to bother Asian kids overall.

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-7

It’s cultural.  Many Asian families come here and prize education over everything else. Sometimes the parents are already well educated professionals who may not be able to work in their careers here due to licensing restrictions or other roadblocks.  I knew a Chinese family whose four children were all required to attended a full day school on Saturdays. As young children they were not allowed to play unless it was a recognized sport or an educational game.  Every free moment was spent reading books above grade level or working math problems.   The mom told me she always reminded her children they had many generations to live up to and they must succeed.  The first child got into Stanford, so the other three went there, because she wanted them to each have the same opportunities.  They insist their children learn English. Compare that to an undedicated family who get here and are working day and night just to support themselves and can barely get by. The parents may never learn English.    Most important, Asian immigrants are usually legal and Hispanic are often not, so they spend their lives hiding in plain sight.

kizmet1

Mar-7

I agree with you. My experienes with Asians have been the same.
My gf was 1st generation Pole with a heavy accent. My gm had him read books aloud to the kids to help lose his accent.
Showtalk
Staff

Mar-7

Yes, hard working and over achieving. 

kizmet1

Mar-7

Yes, combined with wanting a happy and healthy family.
Showtalk
Staff

Mar-8

Doesn’t everyone who has one want a happy and healthy family?

BWArtist

Mar-13

I used to look at the person before the party. But today politics is so polarized, it doesn't make sense to consider individuality. Because  a self thinking representative in search of finding compromise for moving forward, is no longer respected. We are now stuck in a bad marriage  that we can't get out of.

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-13

I think both sides feel that way. My area is pretty mixed politically and if you can even have a halfway civil discussion in it, you find everyone is confused.

MerlinsDad

Mar-14

I always vote in the other party's primary, then in the party of preference in the general election. 

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-14

Why the other primary? Is there a reason or just something you have always done?