Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How man glasses of water do you drink a day?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Mar-1 by Showtalk; 1263 views.

I usually drink other stuff as well, but i keep 3 Camelbak(tm) hydration bladders in the truck, each of which hold 3 liters of reverse osmosis water. I also have a "3 day assault pack" that has 2 hydration bladders in it for hauling special tools and such into the field. It has a nice pocket and straps inside to secure a notebook computer, power supply, assorted tools in some other pockets, supplies to weather being stuck for 3 or 4 days somewhere or other.

The Camelbak standalone packs are often what bicyclists wear, and I usually hang them from the coat hanger lugs behind the seat in the truck.

I can actually drink from 2 of them while just going down the road. These are very useful when out in the 115 degree F desert heat.

In the office, I usually go through about 3 glasses of water (really about a half liter sized glass) in a normal day. If I pee nearly clear I cut back on the water, and if it's darker then I increase the water.

When one of the bladders runs dry I'll give it a good interior cleaning and disinfecting and drying before refilling with reverse osmosis water.

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-26

What is a hydration bladder and why is that better than, say, a metal water bottle?

A hydration bladder is designed to go into a backpack. It has a system of a couple of valves and a drinking tube and mouthpiece, so you can drink from it either one handed or completely hands-free depending on how you rig it.

I really got started using those about a decade ago, when I was helping with radio communications for a 150 mile bicycle ride, and also as I drifted back into Scouting again, noticed this was one of the more modern pieces of equipment that had gradually displaced the WW2 surplus canteens we carried when I was a kid.

Its real advantage is that you can carry a LOT more water. The brand I have stuck with because they are built extra rugged, is the CamelBak. I'd had less than impressive results with a cheap unit I'd found at WalMart. That thing leaked.

The best ones are actual Mil-Spec units manufactured on the same production line as those for the U.S. Marine Corps. Once I got the real thing, I tested it going up and down a couple of mountains while also carrying some radio gear, and the things performed as intended.

It mostly centers the load where you can most easily carry it, in addition to being able to just take a sip without having to stop and fumble with a bottle. I have carried plain old half liter bottles in the past, but most of the ways to carry a bottle are kind of cumbersome unless you stay in a vehicle.

Many of them have some pockets on their packs, and most are lined with material that you can intentionally soak wet for evaporative cooling.

They do need some maintenance. Every few refills you need to fill it about 1/4 full with water and add maybe 1/8 teaspoon of bleach, and use a bottle brush to scrub the interior. There is another special long brush that lets you scrub the drinking tube out. You disassemble the valve and mouthpiece, and scrub those clean as well.

Then you rinse thoroughly, and insert a device that holds it open so it can dry out inside completely overnight.

Then you can remove the drying rack and fill it with clean (ideally reverse osmosis) water for the next trip.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-1

I may look for one, although I have a large, insulated metal bottle that has been large enough and keeps water cold.

If you've already got a large metal bottle, like maybe a WW2 era canteen, might as well use it. Rigid containers are easier to clean if that's what you've trained with. However, the flexible containers such as a hydration pack are easier to transport.

I have also told people who are impoverished that a quick and easy water transport method is save all of your 2 and 3 liter soda pop bottles, rinse them out with a little bleach, and fill them with reverse osmosis water.

While awkward to haul around loose, they are very cheap and durable and really tough.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-1

Mine is insulated and tall, with a loop for a belt if I wanted to wear it, although I don’t. It’s usually in my car.

That's probably good for most short excursions. I'm guessing maybe 1 liter, maybe 1.5 liter capacity? I envision a spun aluminum thick walled bottle with some kind of flip-top drinking spigot in the lid for some reason.

So just under 1.5 liters. definitely not enough for running around the desert, as most people sweat out that much in an hour or less when it is really hot. But adequate for most inhabited areas.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-2

I don’t run in the desert, so I am safe.