Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are You Finding Empty Shelves Due to Pandemic Preparations?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Mar-9 by BWArtist; 5657 views.
kizmet1

Mar-14

I wonder how much all that stuff set him back?
I got a small canister of disinfective wipes I can use before washing in a public place but so far, I have not come across anyone sick.
Showtalk
Staff

Mar-14

No, I haven’t. It sounds interesting.

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-14

At $1 apiece, $17,000.  He may need a good attorney because he has been price gouging.

MerlinsDad

Mar-14

What a wonderful offer.  You are lucky to have such a good friend.  As I said, I was surprised at how many people were in the store at 10 a.m. today and how wiped out the store was.  I didn't expect.  I give the store crew credit for the effort they were making every effort to restock the store.  As I mentioned, the dairy truck arrived while I was there, so I was able to get eggs, milk, half and half, sour cream, and cream cheese -- the main items I went after.  Looked like the produce truck had arrived yesterday or earlier today.    The produce department was in pretty good shape, except for apples.  The meat department was out of fresh meat, much luncheon meat, all bacon.  A young lady was busily trying to fill as much of it as she could.  Of course, paper aisle was empty, clearing supply aisle was empty.  Rubbing alcohol was empty.

kizmet1

Mar-14

Extrememly salty. I visited in the north, close to the Grsnd Canyon. I bought a gallon of water at Safeway. It way still salty despite being bottled. I drink water a faucet in my house.
kizmet1

Mar-14

Can he afford one after spending that much money? He will get everything he deserves.
Showtalk
Staff

Mar-14

And we think people want to be vegetarians.  I’ve heard that other places, too. The meat counters are empty and the fish counters are full.  I’m a little concerned about fresh milk, and other dairy products.  They can’t be frozen.

MerlinsDad

Mar-15

I've been out very little since the infection started because I am home recovering from retinal surgery.  I do plan to return next week (the 21st).  I work in a public library, so I am a little concerned.  As you say, these are interesting times.  I went to the grocery yesterday.  I was surprised by the number of people in the store and by the condition of the shelves.  On the other hand, everyone was polite, pretty much as normal.  Despite the number of customers, I feel that the staff (I am a regular customer and most of he staff knows on sight) went out of their way to be helpful.  While putting out the dairy products from the back of the case, a member of the staff made a special effort to go back and bring out two cases of 2% milk for those of us waiting; a few minutes later, the same member of staff went back to get half and half for me and another customer.  In other words, a very high level of customer service. 

When I was standing in line to check out, a young man came to get me (I was at the back of a line) and opened a register.  I don't know if he picked me because I am a familiar face or because it was the luck of the draw, but it was nice.  Of course, two neighbors saw me get this "special" treatment.  When I was ready to go to the car, a member of staff came away from whatever she was doing to walk my groceries to the car for me.  That definitely felt like special treatment.  My point is that at the grocery, everything was normal (except the volume of business) and staff was making special efforts to restock the store and provide excellent customer service to as many as possible.  I will praise staff to the manager the next time I go, which will probably be before the week is over.

My county has so far had only two cases, so the tension is not as high as it is in areas where the virus is more widespread. 

MerlinsDad

Mar-15

Fresh milk can be frozen.  It will affect the flavor, but it's safe to freeze it.   Cheese has a long shelf life if not unwrapped.  Half and half has a reasonably long shelf life also. 

My concern is fresh produce were the situation to become dire.  We consume a lot of fresh produce.  It can't be frozen and most of it has a relatively short shelf life.

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-15

Our library is closed for at least three weeks.  I have a stack of books I need to return.  I ended up renewing them online but that will expire before they reopen.  

How nice to be treated politely in a market. Our local market staff tend to be on the rude side, so I use Trader Joe’s or other smaller stores for everything I can and a big box store for the rest.