Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are You Finding Empty Shelves Due to Pandemic Preparations?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started 3/9/20 by BWArtist; 6183 views.
MerlinsDad

Apr-12

And I think that an appropriate way to address an older person.   I find surly youngsters irritating, and we do run into one from time to time.  Of course, we have surly adults from time to time also.  For the most part, however, the community appreciates who were are, what we do, and what we represent.

kizmet1

Apr-12

I have been ripped off too often to know where to call. Too many new car dealers have taken over. I used to do the plugs myself and then go to a small local garage to do the timing. Progress got rid of that garage. I needed a new battery. Had to jump the car to get started. Went to Costco and got one whole battery was running. At home I couldn't
find an extension to undo the battery so I drove to a local place to see if the could do it. I was told they would have to run diagnostic tests to see if anything was wrong besides the battery. I was about to burst into tears so the guy made an exception and changed it and I drove off. After that I bought a duplicate of the extension I had misplaced. Have not needed it since.
Showtalk
Staff

Apr-12

I’ve heard from people in different states and cities who are finding what they need at small local markets they don’t usually shop in. It’s so rewarding to go out and come home with food. Who knew shopping could become such a huge form of entertainment.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-12

That is so nice you can produce a service that is needed and appreciated.  I always thought it was cute that even an elderly woman is a “Miss.”

It's definitely been an adventure.

MerlinsDad

Apr-13

Libraries have had to change.  Some systems have been successful; others have not.  OUrs has been thanks to the vision of our executive director.  

Technically it's Ms, pronounced "Mizz."  There was quite a bit of discussion/debate about its use in the 1970s, I think.  It was more or less in use informally in the south before then.  It was a way to get one out of the awkward situation of not knowing whether to call a lady Miss or Mrs -- and it still is useful in that situation.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-13

These children are taught “Miss.”  Very old school.

MerlinsDad

Apr-13

"Miss" is definitely courteous, but Mizz is probably more common.

I heard a Medical Assistant call a lady older than I "Mizz" today, sounded pretty natural to my southern ears.