Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are You Finding Empty Shelves Due to Pandemic Preparations?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started 3/9/20 by BWArtist; 6354 views.

Some apparently have. I just wish more of them knew how to do a web page that didn't use security hazards like cross-domain scripting to just display basic content. I tried to open the link in the article, but NoScript and UBlock Origin threw out "eleventy bazillion" potential malicious script blocked warnings.

Showtalk
Staff

4/15/20

There are some terrible websites.  I’m not sure why every business doesn’t at least have a simple and safe website.

Showtalk said:

There are some terrible websites. I’m not sure why every business doesn’t at least have a simple and safe website.

Probably because it actually costs money if the sales and marketing department don't also have some people who know how to build a good clean simple website.

And what surprises me are the number of Fortune 500 websites that have no real useful content.

Meanwhile - if you are looking for electronics components, people in that industry have set up incredibly effective parametric searches and related database functions in the back end that you can actually use effectively. You can narrow down a search from millions of components down to a few that meet your specs, can exclude anything that isn't already in stock or normally stocked, exclude "not recommended for new designs", and other related things.

So if you need a full wave bridge that fits a 0.500" center square footprint, and needs a 200 volt minimum breakdown voltage, and 3 amp minimum forward current, you can eliminate thousands of other devices to focus in on just these.

You also can include anything that exceeds those electrical specs, so you aren't accidentally specifying a sole source component in your parts list for the widgets you are about to manufacture, and then you can sort by price for the volume you are going to use, and discover an entire arrange of components that can be freely substituted in the product and have everything work properly.

In case 2 years from now half of the parts you found today for this present production run have been discontinued, you still have a bunch of others on the list to choose from that has been filtered down, or you can quickly re-run the search to see if new functionally equivalent parts have appeared since the last time you built a batch of those power supplies.

Showtalk
Staff

4/18/20

If you collect parts and know what to do with them, it’s useful to locate and buy what you might need. Most people don’t.

I wonder if those big companies don’t want more usable websites.  When there isn’t much to find on a site, I look to see where they are directing you.  Like to a retail store or outlet.

Showtalk said:

I wonder if those big companies don’t want more usable websites. When there isn’t much to find on a site, I look to see where they are directing you. Like to a retail store or outlet.

Those with poorly done websites are going to lose a lot of sales when people are looking for some way to find product other than standing in line at a store that closes hours before sunset and opens well after the normal start of a workday, in the hopes that they might find what they are looking for, while also worrying about if they have been exposed to some asymptomatic spreader's virus.

Showtalk
Staff

4/19/20

I hate when I want to buy something locally and get it that day, only to do a local search and find only internet sales sites.  I end up calling all over to find an item in stock.

I finally had to order some Gaviscon Extra Strength antacid this past week because I never could get a straight answer as to whether or not a given store had it or not.

Showtalk
Staff

4/20/20

How do they not know their own merchandise? Even before the pandemic, it was almost impossible to locate something with a phone call.  I didn’t like driving all around the city looking for one thing,when I could call first, find it was in stock and drive one place. It saves time and gas.  It’s even worse for those using public transportation.

They probably didn't have inventory linked properly to their on-line presence. They could learn some things from how Ebay and Amazon can find stuff almost anywhere. I'd guess that management didn't really understand what the I.T. department was really doing, and so they figured that was where they could cut corners because the old fogies running some store chains still don't understand the digital age.

This article explains a lot about how the human brain really can't keep up with the modern world: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/our-world-outsmarts-us   Social problems are fantastically complex, while human minds are severely under-engineered.

Like about 5 minutes ago I ordered some knife sharpeners, after finding that I no longer have a steady enough hand to really get a good sharp edge using an old fashioned whetstone, mostly because the angle is very hard to hold consistently from stroke to stroke while the sharpening jig, you let the machine hold the blade exactly in perfect alignment as you grind a keen edge.

I wasn't going to stand in line and then feel rushed in a store and have to "settle for" what happened to be there at the moment. So I'll have 3 different kinds of them by Saturday, so I can do some performance comparisons and if they all perform well, I'll put one in the field pack, another in the kitchen, and another in the shop.

Meanwhile, really large tools like an axe head, I can still sharpen quite well by hand because it's bigger and more massive so you can actually light up the edge and examine it under high magnification, or clamp it in the vise and then use a little jig to keep the plane of the stone exact so every stroke is consistent, much like the little machine will do with smaller blades.

Showtalk
Staff

4/20/20

You do a lot of work yourself that the average person would pay someone else to do, or go without.  I don’t know when the last time was that I needed to sharpen a knife.