Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are You Finding Empty Shelves Due to Pandemic Preparations?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Mar-9 by BWArtist; 5649 views.

Everyone says I'm an odd duck like that, even others who also do a lot of things themselves.

I have never had a professional fiddle with my electrical, plumbing, or heating / air conditioning. I've been out here for about 36 years now. But I've done a lot of custom re-wiring, I re-plumbed the shower and eventually will splice in the bathroom sinks and bathtub into a grey water disposal that doesn't go into the septic tank - only the toilets at the moment.

When rodents did extensive wiring damage in the walls, I started replacing it with wiring in conduit, which the little teeth can't gnaw into. I showed some other people how to do it, and I know of at least 3 other people who have done the same thing. As an advantage, you can be more creative with the circuitry using conduit than you can with Romex wiring because if you really need 4 conductors, you can run 4 conductors. If you want to run 7 so you have 2 power circuits, the grounds and neutrals, plus wiring to stick a 3-way switch at each end and a light tapped in the middle, you can do it exactly that way. And if you use the next larger size conduit, such as if the electric code sets a fillage limit of, say, 6 wires in a 1/2 inch conduit, you run 3/4 inch instead, you now can easily add a new circuit along the same conduit without having to rip out a wall.

But yeah. The shop building is a unique kind of construction. I built it for about 1/3 the cost of a professionally done building, and it has withstood 85 mph sustained wind that flipped over some neighbors' improperly anchored trailers and wadded up a garden shed that the remnants were found about 1/2 mile away one windy day a few years ago.

It actually was only half finished when we had an awful wind come up one day. I protected the sheet metal still on the ground by parking a car on top of the stacks, then setting about 500 pounds worth of sand bags on each end of the long metal strips, and spent about an hour shoveling dirt on the rest of it to further weight it down and spoil the aerodynamics.

Meanwhile in that same storm, there was a big metal building under construction about 10 miles away. I learned about it on the evening news, as 40 foot long pieces of sheet metal were strewn for miles, and some of them impaled houses and cars. Essentially a lot of the materials were a total loss.

I probably have some pictures of the improvised "sled" I built out of scrap C purlin and some 30 foot pieces that became improvised rails to haul the sheets up onto the roof once the sides were up. It cost a heck of a lot less than what a crane would have cost to rent for the several days it took to put the roof together.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-21

Most of us can do some things but not everything.  You seem to have learned everything!