Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is Trump responsible for the awful mi...   The Serious You: Politics

Started Mar-13 by ANNMTM; 2273 views.
ANNMTM

Poll Question From ANNMTM

Mar-13

Is Trump responsible for the awful mis handling of the Covid-19 virus in the US?
  • Yes!11  votes
    45%
  • No12  votes
    50%
  • Maybe0  votes
    0%
  • I don't know1  vote
    4%
  • I need more information0  votes
    0%
Yes! 
No 
Maybe 
I don't know 
I need more information 
In reply toRe: msg 1
ANNMTM

Mar-13

Not surprisingly, I said yes. He was calling it a Dem hoax two weeks ago. Here's a piece with the timeline of his approach:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/12/trump-coronavirus-timeline/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Bear in mind the Trump government closed down the White House Pandemic team in 2018. CDC has lost funding for dealing with crises like this.

In case you haven't heard, a reporter asked, in view of the actions his administration has taken, does he feel any responsibility for the situation in which we find ourselves? His answer?

"I didn't do it. I didn't know about it. I take no responsibilty ."  Didn't see that comin', didja? (sarcasm, to be clear)

Oh, and when the reporter tried to ask a follow-up question, they cut her mic. Only in Trump's America. This makes America great?

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-13

Has it been mishandled? I don’t think we know yet. We won’t actually know until years later when we look back on it.   It seems like very few people are actually getting it.  So far, I don’t know one person who has it.  Remember swine flu?  Now, that was scary. Very scary. Millions of people got it.

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-13

60.8 million cases in the United States.  I think with self quarantine, there will be many fewer cases here. It’s almost impossible to prevent a virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm

ANNMTM

Mar-13

We have no way of knowing how many people have it. The feds didn't allow testing in Washington.  They started doing it in defiance because they knew they should. Very few working test kits are in the hands of those who need them. Did you read the article?

He forbade any of the government experts from talking, said it had to go thru Pence. Did you read Dr. Fauci's testimony to Congress?

He, and the (incomprehensible) a**kissers who surround him are responsible for our being so far behind where we should be in combating this.  They have killed people because of this.

Sorry. I am reallllly pissed off about this.

ETA: I don't mean that Washington is ground zero, just an example of administration mis-handling. No way to know how many are infected and how much community contamination has occurred. People who fear they have it can't get tested.

• Edited March 13, 2020 10:36 pm  by  ANNMTM
ANNMTM

Mar-13

"Another forecast, developed by former CDC director Tom Frieden at the nonprofit organization Resolve to Save Lives, found that deaths in the United States could range widely, depending on what percentage of the population becomes infected and how lethal the disease proves to be. Frieden, who oversaw the U.S. response to the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic, the 2014 Ebola epidemic and the 2016 Zika epidemic, says that in a worst-case scenario, but one that is not implausible, half the U.S. population would become infected and more than 1 million people would die."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-forecasts-are-grim-its-going-to-get-worse/2020/03/11/2a177e0a-63b4-11ea-acca-80c22bbee96f_story.html

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-13

The problem is there is already so much information out there, and I don’t necessarily trust anyone who is talking about it.  Yes, I actually heard Fauci speak and he was referring to mistakes that happened before this administration was in power.  I think the media is blowing this way out of proportion and are using it to blame politicians.  Since when did any politician stop an illness?  You put a lot of faith in the government to fix things, but if they could, then 60 million people would not have had the swine flu.  No one blamed anyone then, we just all dealt with it.

I understand you are angry.  I am angry too, at the hysteria and the out of control buying. At everything I’m missing over the next few weeks.  But I’m not ready to blame anyone yet.  And I’m not going to get hysterical yet. I’m trying to stay calm and wait for all the facts.  

• Edited March 13, 2020 10:45 pm  by  Showtalk
kizmet1

Mar-14

I do not see how only one person can be responsible.
It seems like every POTUS has had some sort of new virus to deal with. Doctors and scientists have also had to deal with them.
Why not blame China?
MerlinsDad

Mar-14

I think the evidence is overwhelming that he and/or his administration is responsible for letting the situation get out of hand.  ANNMTM 's comment that Trump refuses to take responsibility hits the bullseye.  If he refuses responsibility, then he is in essence saying that he really doesn't care, unless he can find ways to make himself look heroic and promote his re-election. 

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-14

Because she is angry and scared and wants answers. I understand perfectly. But in reality, the president has very little control over these kinds of decisions. His advisors do.  If you remember, Obama did nothing much about H1N1 for a long time.  I don’t even remember being nervous about it.