Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should Medical Supplies go to Highest Bidder?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Mar-22 by BWArtist; 1646 views.
BWArtist

Poll Question From BWArtist

Mar-22

Should Medical Supplies go to Highest Bidder?
  • Yes the Free Market Solves all Problems3  votes
    25%
  • No Certain Circumstances Demand Intervention9  votes
    75%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes the Free Market Solves all Problems 
No Certain Circumstances Demand Intervention 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
BWArtist

Mar-22

The Democrat says he appreciates President Donald Trump invoking the act and praising private companies for changing over production from other products to items needed for addressing the COVID-19 pandemic but the private sector needs to be ordered to start producing masks, surgical gowns and respirators.  He adds, the federal government also needs to be in charge of distributing those supplies to the areas where there is the biggest need instead of having states bidding against each other for available supplies.

Cuomo says surgical masks that normally cost $.85 had been for sale at over $4 a few days ago.  March 22, the governor said the going rate was $7 per mask.  Ventilators that would be a few thousand dollars now carry prices of $16,000-$40,000 as companies domestically and globally compete for orders.

New York needs 30,000 ventilators and, as of March 21, had identified 6,000 that were available.  Cuomo says the federal government could get production going immediately and more quickly get equipment to the states that need it most, not the states with the highest offer.

https://wnbf.com/governor-cuomo-tells-feds-enact-defense-protection-act-now-stop-state-bidding-war-for-supplies/

Showtalk
Staff

Mar-23

It needs to go to whoever can do the best job.  Private sector employs many people who need the jobs. If the government takes over, they will lose those jobs.  The Gavin Newsom made it illegal to price gouge during an emergency. Cuomo could have done that.

Construction companies use the same masks and are donating their supplies.  Liquor companies are gearing up to make more hand sanitizer.  Other companies are making more masks. It looks like it’s already on the way to happening.  Why should they be ordered to do what they are already doing on their own?  I think he is doing too little, too late, and could get in the way of what is happening organically.  

The federal government controls the numbers of hospitals and doctor at those hospitals through regulation, through medical schools, etc.  Any shortages in doctors and hospitals are the fault of the government.

BWArtist

Mar-24

Something tells me I'm trying to reason with someone who will always insist to only whistle while trying to walk past our own graveyard.

We both live  in an ideological divided nation that needs to desperately come to an agreement on how to survive the rest of this year. 

Maybe we'll still be around later to possibly discuss how we can sue Fox news for all they've got.

I'm from the Rocky Mountains. Just curious,,, are you whistling from the land of Dixie?

In reply toRe: msg 4
Showtalk
Staff

Mar-24

Well that is awfully polite, but I will answer you anyway, assuming it’s also a serious response.  No, I don’t live in the south and yes, I like to look at the positive side of things when I can. We are each trying to make the best of a horrible situation and want it to end.  I gather you already have an answer that you feel is best and it differs from mine. That’s fine, I don’t mind at all, in fact, I expected people wouldn’t like my answer.  What bothers me right now is that politicians are still politicking.  Cuomo needs to focus on his own state which has the largest number of cases in the country, followed by California. Both those governors are speaking nationally, when they are not national politicians. I don’t particularly want them speaking for me.  I do worry that NY isn’t safe as I have family there.  I want him doing everything he can to keep people healthy.

There was a distribution problem due to a run on products.  Our stores are at the end of the delivery chain so we were hit much harder than those closer to the supply. I talked to family in other cities whose stores were barely impacted, other than toilet paper.  It fell apart because it’s not set up for a panic.  That said, the supply chain is in place, and it’s working again.

I also believe the government needs to do what it does well and let private industry manage what it does.  If any company is price gouging, that needs to stop.  But I don’t see how the government can take on anything else.  They don’t have unlimited people or products available to them and I see them making a lot of mistake.  I have a family member right now trying to get a service from the government and they are just awful to deal with when things are not working well.  It’s been the most stressful situation for all involved,  so, I’m not feeling very charitable right now.

• Edited March 24, 2020 10:33 am  by  Showtalk
In reply toRe: msg 5
Showtalk
Staff

Mar-24

Recommendation: Stop political fighting and get ventilators now, no matter what they have to do to get them.

BWArtist

Mar-24

When we're talking about Trump, I agree he needs to get out of the way of people that know what they are talking about. Trump defy s ethical  and moral standards when lives are at stake.

Gawd I long for a presidential conference that would resemble something like what Cuomo brought forth today. He mentions that we should approach this as an evolving problem. Right now New York needs the 20000 ventilators that the feds have been holding on to, The virus wave is worst there. New York needs 30000 ventilators but they should get the 20000 now and after the wave recedes,, they can go to the next priority area.

If you watch this presentation ,it shows how our president should be handling this...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/24/watch-live-ny-gov-cuomo-holds-a-press-conference-on-the-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Trump is really dropping the ball with only giving New York 4000 of the 20000.

kizmet1

Mar-24

Can you say something good about Trump?
Showtalk
Staff

Mar-24

I can’t listen to him, or any of the politicians who talk and talk and talk.  Is there a transcript?  I agree, NY needs more ventilators.  Why the heck didn’t he plan for something like this in advance.

BWArtist

Mar-25

Trump  suggests this virus problem will be all over by Easter. And he further suggests that you should attend services and then go back to work the following Monday.

Do you agree with him?