Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What do you think about the secret stockpile of ventilators?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Mar-28 by Showtalk; 2868 views.
kizmet1

Apr-27

A group of nerds in Oregon at OHSU (medical school) just invented a cheap ventilator that runs off of oxygen tank. No battery.

They let a computer invent it and print it out. Cost? $10-20 each
Came out in the news today.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-27

The is groundbreaking.

kizmet1

Apr-27

Isn't it? The price is so nice, I hope they get a lot of awards for doing this.

Sounds like a pneumatic powered system. We have air impact wrenches and jackhammers that work on the same principle just on a much larger scale.

kizmet1

Apr-27

Maybe you should invent some things that are really needed now?
Showtalk
Staff

Apr-27

If they are approved for use.

kizmet1

Apr-27

I hope they are, soon. The arms aznd hands designed by computers have made agood difference in many lives.
Showtalk
Staff

Apr-27

It could save lives.

kizmet1

Apr-27

Yes. Probably have to go through tests and trials but in the long run it will help many.
  • Edited April 27, 2020 10:15 pm  by  kizmet1

The big obstacle to building medical devices is the kind of capital needed to tool up and build a design. Now if the design is open source, like I've seen for some assorted peripherals for say, the Raspberry Pi or some robotics, that changes the equation immensely. I'd love to see some kind of engineering drawings on how the beast works.