Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will isolation flatten the curve?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Mar-31 by Showtalk; 377 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Mar-31

Will isolation flatten the curve?
  • It's already working7  votes
    50%
  • It's too soon to tell1  vote
    7%
  • I think so based on what I have read3  votes
    21%
  • I don't know1  vote
    7%
  • Other2  votes
    14%
It's already working 
It's too soon to tell 
I think so based on what I have read 
I don't know 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Mar-31

kizmet1

Mar-31

I don't know. We have to watch for reports of the ignorant people who spent spring break mingling on beaches with many, many , many others. I think the incubation period is 10-14 days.
Showtalk
Staff

Mar-31

I get so annoyed at people who aren’t following rules when the rest of us are inconveniencing ourselves to comply.  

kizmet1

Mar-31

We all do. Those beach goers may have people who love them and will suffer if they get sick or die.

I think it's working. Last time I looked, we had about 20 confirmed cases in the Permian Basin with probably 200k people in Ector and Midland Counties so that leaves a ratio of maybe 1 in 10,000 have it that we know of.

If the symptomatic to asymptomatic ratio is where I suspect it is, I'd guess there are more like 90 to 150 actual cases, many of whom don't know it yet, and of those, there might be 20 to 30 that recover and either never realize they had it or it shows up months later with an antibody serum test.

I'm hoping that the past few hot, dry, sunny days have shut down most outdoor contagion. But it needs to have time to run its course with each presently infected person only passing it to less than one other, before we can say we've passed the peak.

But it might not be working that well in the most densely populated places.

kizmet1 said:

We have to watch for reports of the ignorant people who spent spring break mingling on beaches with many, many , many others.

and those at that mega-church in Florida (I think it was) who decided to hold a packed service this past Sunday.

Most of the larger churches here set up to just stream the services, preaching to a video camera and empty pews.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-1

My state seems to be turning around and dropping the curve.  We are hoping there won’t be a second wave.  One of my kids did an analysis of this virus with the spread and containment of the Spanish flu and concluded if it behaves in a similar way, the outcome is encouraging.

There is a deadline of sorts in August-September when schools typically start. If schools are not allowed to open in the fall, parents will enroll in homeschooling programs, which will kill the public school system.  So there will be a lot of pressure on state governments to allow districts to open schools.  I think even without that, we are going to see homeschool numbers rise and public school enrollments decline.

• Edited April 1, 2020 5:35 pm  by  Showtalk

I need to do more research to see how we are doing here. I haven't left my property for about 26 hours so far, and might actually not go anywhere until as late as Monday.

https://www.mrt.com/news/article/Report-Midland-County-earns-a-D-for-social-15171938.php

I got the string mower re-assembled, and knocked down the weeds that have come up between the garden beds. I found more of last year's seeds that should still have a decent germination rate, and should have plenty of those planted tomorrow.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-1

There will be a lot of new vegetable gardens this year. The online seed stores sold out.