Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

“We are never going to be the same” (after the Pandemic)   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Apr-2 by Showtalk; 1142 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Apr-2

"We are never going to be the same" (after the Pandemic)
  • I agree, we will never forget the fear and anxiety1  vote
    5%
  • We may change behaviors but we won't live in constant fear1  vote
    5%
  • I disagree and the person who said that is irresponsible5  votes
    29%
  • Maybe we will change for the better2  votes
    11%
  • #2 and 45  votes
    29%
  • Other3  votes
    17%
I agree, we will never forget the fear and anxiety 
We may change behaviors but we won't live in constant fear 
I disagree and the person who said that is irresponsible 
Maybe we will change for the better 
#2 and 4 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Apr-2

It’s interesting, most articles covering his speech left out the major and important parts.  This is the first one I found that actually presents the transcript. I actually heard the whole speech and while I agree with most of it, I was horrified and dismayed by this.  He is not only promoting anxiety, he’s not a therapist, he’s not an expert, and he doesn’t know the hearts or motivations of most people.  He’s also promoting and encourage people to live in fear.  What do you think?

“We’re never going to be the same again. We’re not going to forget what happened here. The fear that we have, the anxiety that we have, that’s not just going to go away. When do we get back to normal? I don’t think we get back to normal.”

kizmet1

Apr-2

Hard to say. Look at the evolution of HIV and Aids.
MerlinsDad

Apr-2

The catchword seems to be "we're in this together." 

Organizations and individuals are donating large sums of money to help feed students whose only meal might be the school lunch, heath care workers, the elderly, the invalided, first responders.  Kroger and Publix and Home Depot (local retailers) are giving raises and bonuses and extra time off to the employees on the front lines. 

I hope that we are learning that we need each other, that "no man is an island."  that we're a social animal which benefits from group associations (call it another form of tribalism). 

I am hoping that the doctrine of individualism promulgated by one of our political parties will now die and be replaced by the doctrine that we need each other, that all human life is valuable, and that the more we help each other the more we all prosper.  When this is over and we start trying to rebuilt a society, a culture, and an economy, I hope that we all and particularly that political party will remember just how important it is to have others provide help when we need it.   Yes, we're in this together, always have been despite the doctrine of that particular political party, and always will be.  A famous holy man once said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  A far more important doctrine than pandering to our worse angels.

Perhaps we might even see the need for a national health care system and perhaps even comprehend that the ACA was a very good idea -- just the beginning, but a very good idea, nevertheless.

Jeri (azpaints)

Apr-3

Realistically he's right.  Or he should be.  If we go back to our prior ways, we will have learned nothing.  Every major event changes those that it affects, teaches us what we did right or wrong and what we need to do to improve.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-3

I know someone with HIV who has had it sense a teenager and just turned 50. With the meds, he has no detectives virus.  It took a long time, but it’s under control. There is also a medication that supposedly prevents it.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-3

We can be individuals and still work together.  I like being different and would hate to be just like everyone else.  I have spent a lot of the last two weeks checking on neighbors and getting information out to them.  So far, everyone I have heard from is fine.  

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-3

He’s right about spending the rest of our lives in fear?  I refuse to buy into that idea or to give into it. In my real life, I try to surround myself with positive people who are strong and confident. I like to try to lift up others and cheer them up. I also don’t understand why they are airing his press conferences nationally. I listened to part of his today and had to turn it off.  He is so whiney and condescending, after a while all I can heard is his tone, not his words.  I want to hear from my governor, not some guy across the country I had barely ever heard of before.  I think he is very popular in his area, but I doubt he has national appeal. He’s too east coast.  

kizmet1

Apr-3

Not all have been that fortunate. In the beginning, too many behaved like those young people who were in the recent beach activities in the warmer cities. These new viruses seem to make some behave in risky wsys.
Showtalk
Staff

Apr-3

Yes, irresponsible behavior puts people at risk.