Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How has traffic changed in your area now versus before the pandemic?   The Curious You: Your Polls

Started Apr-8 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 4110 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Apr-20

That happens.  The ones you like leave and the others seem to stay and stay.  We had a nice neighbor I never talked to.  I thought about but one day they moved and I never did.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-20

You bought a freight container?  What do you use it for?  They would consider that a temporary structure and we would not be able to keep one in the yard.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-20

They aren’t all immigrants.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-20

That takes planning.

• Edited April 20, 2020 4:53 pm  by  Showtalk
Showtalk said:

You bought a freight container? What do you use it for? They would consider that a temporary structure and we would not be able to keep one in the yard.

I store a lot of stuff in it. It's full of industrial shelving. It's where a whole lot of "survival stash" is stored, so I can get something in bulk - like motor oil, antifreeze, rice, beans, split peas, dry cat food and dog food, canned goods, bottled water, toilet paper, even ammunition and a growing collection of hard drives full of assorted videos, a bunch of books, and other stuff that would otherwise clutter the house. Of course my "yard" is about 2.5 acres - close to the size of a regular city block - and I've got several other "temporary structures", which has saved me a small fortune in property tax.

Another friend of mine who has about 4x the acreage I do, has a row of 6 - maybe 7 of them. He said he'd get me another container if I can help him get a bunch more tonnage out of storage downtown, also, because the owners of that building are getting elderly and it's just a matter of time either until (during the boom reasoning) someone would jack the rent to 10x what he's paying now for the near downtown office space to hold his "junque", or (during the bust reasoning) the building is otherwise abandoned and some day the city decides it's blighted and condemns it for demolition.

I also built a shop building that has about 6x the volume of a freight container - it's 2 stories with a large bay in the middle to work on cars and stuff with the 2nd floor wrapping around like a balcony overlooking the vehicle bay.

The person with the 6 - maybe 7 - containers packed full of "junque" has a large barn that badly needs some roof work done. It is over-built as far as structural integrity but a bunch of C and Z purlin needs to be used to reinforce / replace some rotted out rafters and put new cross-ribs, then rig scaffolding to place new R-panel roofing over everything. Then the interior can be rebuilt as needed, and a whole bunch of obsolete equipment can be taken apart into components, test the parts, and start pre-packing and listing it on Ebay.

In my shop building there's a "project car" - seems everyone I know who has rural property has one or more of those lying around. One young woman who pounced on some acreage right before the boom hit has several, and like me, gripes about the light pollution of the night sky due to urban sprawl, and all the folks buying "little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky-tacky" that have encroached into so much former ranchland.

But being able to have a freight container - that's one of the reasons I'd never want to live inside of an incorporated city limits, or under an HOA. Because all of my "stuff" like that is part of what I figured out nearly 40 years ago was needed to ride out a huge economic calamity, and it has absolutely removed a huge source of stress that most urbanites and especially apartment dwellers have had for the past month or so.

Jeri (azpaints)

Apr-20

no, but illegal immigrants don't receive stimulous checks, legal workers do. Per this article, about 47% are illegal, 21% are US citizens.  Plus, note farm workers is not the only employment area dominated by illegal workers.  Hotel workers and construction workers are often illegal immigrants.   https://www.farmworkerjustice.org/sites/default/files/resources/NAWS%20data%20factsht%2010-18-18.pdf

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/11/us/undocumented-immigrant-workers.html

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-20

Then I have another question. Does anyone really need 6 containers of stored junk?

kizmet1

Apr-20

Tobacco is gradually ridding my neighborhood of undesirables. Ironically, the mother of the nice neighnor whose fried cut my tree, is in her 90's and a smoker. Maybe her brand is different? She is tiny like Mammy Yokum was.
Showtalk
Staff

Apr-20

I don’t run into many smokers anymore.

kizmet1

Apr-20

I don't either except at bus stops. Most walk away so I don't smell it but it is still a shock to see people who smoke in this day and age.