Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are your online purchases safe from hackers?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Apr-30 by Showtalk; 519 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Apr-30

Are your online purchases safe from hackers?
  • Yes4  votes
    40%
  • No, I worry about it0  votes
    0%
  • No, I take precautions3  votes
    30%
  • I'm not sure2  votes
    20%
  • Maybe but I can't worry about it0  votes
    0%
  • I don't shop online1  vote
    10%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes 
No, I worry about it 
No, I take precautions 
I'm not sure 
Maybe but I can't worry about it 
I don't shop online 
Other 

I tend to limit stuff to PayPal and a couple of burner cards that originally was to limit unwanted auto-renewals, as if those transactions are declined, it tends to shut down stuff that otherwise would keep taking out of your pocket again and again for decades.

Speaking of online purchases, there are 6 packages in the mailbox this evening when I hike down to get the mail. Guess I should wear a backpack.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-30

You are buying a lot.

Auto parts. So the truck will pass inspection this month if the inspection stations are open.

Showtalk
Staff

May-1

They will have to move inspection deadlines back.

They might. Or they might just start issuing tickets for expired tags (inspection is now required since 2015 to renew tags) and just dare you to come up with the money to fight it in court.

During the oil boom you could probably get away with it because there were far too few law enforcement personnel to find them. Now, they can sit back and license plate scan everything that goes by, so it's likely a lot harder to bootleg something on the road because you can't renew.

Showtalk
Staff

May-1

Can they use ALPRs to see license tags?

Showtalk said:

Can they use ALPRs to see license tags?

Is that the infamous license plate scanning cameras?

Oh, sure, in urban areas those are quite common. They can probably hide them along rural roads that are travel choke points as well, specifically so they can detect expired plates and silently be waiting at the next town.

However, the van I'm trying to get transferred properly, the previous owner, because it wouldn't pass inspection, actually ran it bootleg for more than 3 years, and we're not talking just a trip to the grocery store but more like from Midland to Monahans to Kermit to Jal to Eunice to Hobbs, to Denver City to Plains to Lubbock to Lamesa and finally back to Midland nearly every 2nd weekend.

But since childhood, when other kids would do something and get away with it and I'd be the one caught and punished even if I had nothing to do with it, beyond mere proximity to an no advance knowledge of what the other kids were going to do, I've been a bit less confident at bending rules even when the potential rewards are somewhat greater than the risk of getting caught, from all those times of being falsely accused and summarily punished.

It gave me a lot of avoidant behavior, which is why the van is still sitting there.

The truck on the other hand, is the only way I can get around until the van is street legal.

I'm fixing to move the van to use it as a scaffolding platform under the awning structure so I can get the remaining structure welded in place today.

Showtalk
Staff

May-1

Yes.