Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Where do you get most of the books you read?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started May-5 by Showtalk; 1045 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

May-5

Where do you get most of the books you read?
  • The public library - all sources4  votes
    23%
  • The public library - ebooks or audiobooks2  votes
    11%
  • Amazon or similar services - hard copy3  votes
    17%
  • Amazon or similar services - ebooks or audiobooks1  vote
    5%
  • Used book stores1  vote
    5%
  • Friends or family0  votes
    0%
  • Garage sales or flea markets2  votes
    11%
  • Another type of library0  votes
    0%
  • I read books I already own1  vote
    5%
  • I don't read books0  votes
    0%
  • Other3  votes
    17%
The public library - all sources 
The public library - ebooks or audiobooks 
Amazon or similar services - hard copy 
Amazon or similar services - ebooks or audiobooks 
Used book stores 
Friends or family 
Garage sales or flea markets 
Another type of library 
I read books I already own 
I don't read books 
Other 
MerlinsDad

May-5

We have a very good county library system.  The coronavirus costs to the state and county are going to hurt next year's budget badly.  Libraries may never recover from the slashes that will be made.  With so many people out of work, libraries will be in great demand like they were in 2008, 2009, as people use the computers and resources to find jobs. 

I discovered Books on CD while recovering from my first eye surgery in February.  I had never read To Kill a Mockingbird (I don't know why), so I listened to Sissy Spacek reading it.  I really enjoyed her reading.  We also listened to the Agatha Christie classic, Murder on the Orient Express, and Amor Towles' A Gentleman in Moscow.  I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, and was able to spend lots of hours listening.  This time around, the library was closed, so the only Book on CD we listened too was Charlton Heston reading The Old Man and the Sea.  He's got a nice voice, easy to listen to.    We listened to a lot of classic music both times.  I found the books and the music good ways to concentrate and make the time pass as quickly as possible.

Showtalk
Staff

May-5

What about audiobooks?  Our library has those and ebooks, but their selection is limited to new books.  I am so disappointed they don’t have more options.

MerlinsDad

May-5

The pricing model of ebooks and audiobooks have changed recently, making them more costly for libraries.  Here's an article from Library Journal from last July on those changes.

https://www.libraryjournal.com/?detailStory=publishers-change-ebook-and-audiobook-models-libraries-look-for-answers

Showtalk
Staff

May-5

Then they pay more. Our library said ebooks are the wave of the future and they buy a fraction of the hardcover books they used to.  But we can’t get many ebooks.  Instead, they are spending huge chunks of their budget on community activities, which I think are often a waste of time and resources.  A library’s main function has always been to promote reading and make reading available.  If I have to buy every book I want to read because the library doesn’t carry it in some form, then I don’t want my tax money going to the library.  I can’t tell how many times my books club has had to pool resources to buy enough books so everyone has access to a copy at least shared, because we can’t get even one copy at the library. There is something very wrong there.

• Edited May 5, 2020 7:45 pm  by  Showtalk
kizmet1

May-6

I am not pleased with the young kids going to the library for activities. They are loud and once out of their learning room run around like they are outside. No one seems to teach manners.
I started going to the library with my mother before I started school. When I could read I got a card and got to go with just my friends. We had storytime. None of us would have dared to raise our voices or run around the place, especially as the head librarian was so nice to us.
MerlinsDad

May-6

Most libraries have not recovered the funding lost during the Great Recession.  This loss of revenue will be brutal. 

Library purchasing departments are in a quandary as to how to spend the ever-shrinking funds in a way which satisfies the most number of people.  They have to make some hard choices.

The standard model for the library now includes more outreach and more programs as a way to demonstrate the relevance of libraries.  Since most of us have not done programs, there's a lot of experimentation.  They'll keep the good ones and discard the not so good.  Having done programs, I can also tell you that we sometimes present and excellent program,  but our advertising didn't bring in the number we hoped for.  It's just like making movies.  Some are good, some aren't so good, and some are real surprises.  I don't know how your system operates, but you might see more and more of those programs done on line.  For a system with several branches, that could reduce the overall number at each branch by reducing the number of duplications, which might provide a modest amount of saved funding to spend on other things.

Showtalk
Staff

May-6

Actually the story time kids are cute and during that hour, everyone expects some noise.  I never go to the library after school if I can help it.  Too many teenagers taking and laughing instead of studying.  

Showtalk
Staff

May-6

You are always so reasonable, I can agree with what you said.  Our library had a program on garbage.  I think it started out as a good plan. The underlying theme was recycling.  But someone had a stupid idea to pile up garbage in their community meeting area.  It was not a good plan.  Someone else decided to have a cooking program, but there is no kitchen in the garbage room so that didn’t go over too well either.  

I don’t know about everything else, but I do want to read.

kizmet1

May-7

Funny but I have not seen a lot if teenagers. Whatever the pre-K to 2nd or 3rd are being taught in another room seems to excite them an they run into the big room where books, computers and adults are and go wild. I don't mean the cute little ones who like to crawl under my legs resting on the hearth of the gas firepit, either. Those are too young for class. It is the older ones.
It is almost comical as one day I was using my phone. I was "on a roll" in genealogy research and the tapping disturbed someone. The librarian took my phone and disabled every sound button it had. I had no idea what he did. I just know that th phone stopped ringing for a long time.