Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should OOS Health Workers who volunteer in NY have to pay NY taxes?   The Serious You: Politics

Started May-6 by Showtalk; 944 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

May-6

Should OOS Health Workers who volunteer in NY have to pay NY taxes?
  • Yes, New York considers them employees while they are volunteering in the sta...1  vote
    10%
  • Maybe, I am not sure0  votes
    0%
  • No9  votes
    90%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes, New York considers them employees while they are volunteering in the sta... 
Maybe, I am not sure 
No 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

May-6

OOS is out of state.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Staff

May-6

Can someone explain the logic behind this to me?  I don’t  understand how volunteers can be taxed on money they make in another state.

Jeri (azpaints)

May-6

Taxes are based on the state the work is performed in.  We had a news report that NY hospitals were offering 2x or more pay to nurses, etc to take vacation pay, or leaves of absence from their jobs.  Nurses here were expecting to find their jobs to be held for them and complained about "volunteering" and not having a job to return to.  Two tv stations dig deeper and found out the nurses were being paid a lot more.   To me that's not volunteering, that's changing jobs and why would they think hospitals in their home state could do without their medical employees in a pandemic?

Jeri (azpaints)

May-6

Oh, and NY is only taxing income earned in NY, not income from the home state.

Showtalk
Staff

May-6

Either they were volunteers or they were being paid.  Why are they all saying they volunteered?  Why would NY take taxes if they are paid in other states.  Something is off and everyone has a different story.

Jeri (azpaints)

May-6

The "volunteer" vs "employee" caused a local stir.  My guess is that NY is taking taxes for the income earned in NY which means they were not volunteers, but rather employees.  

DH earned $700 working in Utah last year, and we had to file Utah state taxes paid $17.  When we filed AZ taxes the form asks if any  income listed on our federal return was earned in and subject to taxes from another state,  We said yes, Utah.  Arizona then deducted the $700 from our federal income.

Showtalk
Staff

May-6

There should be more information about that.

Jeri (azpaints)

May-7

It's actually in tax law.  The state where the employee is physically  located is allowed to get income tax.  It's why people who work for a Texas company in the state of Colorado pays Colorado  income tax, not TX.  My DHs company is in Indiana, he pays AZ income tax.

Showtalk
Staff

May-7

But they were supposedly not getting paid.  We need to find out.