Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Polls, polls, polls   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started May-8 by Jeri (azpaints); 1767 views.
Jeri (azpaints)

May-8

since this is an Opinion Poll forum, thought this might be of interest.  It appears via polling, most of the US is against opening the country.  So, theoretically I spite of being a democratic republic where majority rules, we are now in a new political stage of our country's history where the minority rules.  I gave several links for variety and in case one doesn't work.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/despite-widespread-economic-hardship-most-americans-not-ready-to-reopen-poll-says

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/reopening-country-greater-risk-americans-poll/story?id=70555060

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/politics/coronavirus-reopening-polls.html

Showtalk
Staff

May-8

I am in favor of partial opening which the polls did not really ask.  No sporting events, no Disneyland.  But businesses that don’t deal with the public directly? Why not?  Schools? Not yet.

Jeri (azpaints)

May-8

What businesses were closed that don't deal directly with the public?  I'm having a senior moment.  Warehouses weren't closed here, nor were manufacturing plants.  Retail stores and service businesses all deal with the public.  Law firms, medical, dental, hair, nails, all deal with the public.

Showtalk
Staff

May-8

Accountants, any kind of business where it can be handled over the phone.  Pretty much any type of office work. The point I made is that most people aren’t in favor of 100% opening everything right away. It may seem like I am, but I’m not,

Jeri (azpaints)

May-8

Not all accounting can be handled over the phone - at least my accountant wanted to see receipts, 1099s, etc.   I posted a link to MerlinsDad in the science thread - check it out.    But some might be and I'm sure there are others.  I just can't think of any.  Brain freeze!

Dee (DLAINEDEE)

May-8

The majority doesn't rule under our Republic.  Under a democracy the majority does rule.  2 wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner...  We are a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy.

Showtalk
Staff

May-8

In this case, the public had virtually no inputs into the shutdowns.  

Dee (DLAINEDEE)

May-8

These shut downs are not laws, there is NO law.  They are edicts, if you will, but as good Americans we agreed to house arrest for 2 weeks.  That was it, 2 weeks.  Many of these governors and mayors, and even some judges, are taking advantage of our goodwill.  Many are acting just like dictators and treating Americans like criminals, like slaves.  They don't have the right to do what they are doing, and it is the reason so many are starting to push back.  Even though mainstream media is pulling the race card, AGAIN! Divide and conquer that's all they know.   However, if many don't push back, then we all are going to lose everything.  And I mean everything.

Showtalk
Staff

May-9

People agreed because they are scared, with good reason.  We were all told that millions will die from the virus. That has not happened.  One outlet is saying 3,000 people a day will die. I saw the report and forgot where since I was reading so much.  If people are staying home voluntarily, it is their choice.  But a lot of people are not. A neighbor I don’t know is gone all day every weekday. He parks in the street and his vehicle is gone.  He lives with a very elderly parent who I have to assume is at risk, but still goes to work.

One of my extended family is a non essential medical provider at a government hospital and must go to work even though there are no patients.  They were all exposed to corona when a coworker came to work sick.  They had their temperatures taken at the door but were not quarantined even though they had all been in the same room with the sick person.  None of them got it.  Why not?  I am assuming the facility remains open with no patients so they will get funded.