Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America   The Serious You: Politics

Started May-9 by Dee (DLAINEDEE); 284 views.
Dee (DLAINEDEE)

May-9

I had the privilege of speaking with Ms. Charlotte Thompson Iserbyt for over an hour more then 10 years ago.  She was the Head of Policy, Department of Education, under President Regan.  I was trying to get her book which was no longer in print.  She is a wonderful lady, but before we ended our conversation, she asked for my address.  A week later, she sent me her book signed. :)

If you really want to know the truth of 'one slice of the pie', being education, of how they took over and changed our education.  This is one of the most important documentaries on that subject that you will ever hear.  The original video is gone, of course.  I found another, but it was a bit blurred, so thank goodness I was able to find this one.  Best to watch it before Yt finds it and it will disappear too.  You won't be sorry, if you want to head down the path of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnWbKQcElGk

Got it saving to the hard drive

youtube-dl --restrict-filename -f18 -ciwo "%(title)s_%(id)s.%(ext)s" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnWbKQcElGk

Showtalk
Staff

May-10

That is a very long video and I don’t watch anything that long, primarily due to bandwidth.  Is there a written summary?

Showtalk
Staff

May-10

In my first non fiction writing course as a young adult, I was taught that the average read has only an 8th grade reading level.  That has probably been true since WW II when education became even more homogeneous.  So it’s not new.

Dee (DLAINEDEE)

May-10

Great interview.  I like how they give her the floor.  I could only wish I knew how to save the vids like you.  I was trying to find other great documentaries, but so many are gone.  It may take a little more work to find any that may have been uploaded, but with a different name to get under the radar of Yt.

Dee (DLAINEDEE)

May-10

Actually it's not that long.  Most great documentaries are 2 and 3 hours long.  Sad you can't watch this one.  Ms. Charlotte is a wonderful lady, and now she is 89 years old.  Once she dies, I fear they will sweep all of her information under the rug and then label her a conspiracy theorist, or worse a racist.  Which she is neither.

When I was first trying to get her original book, there was only one 2nd hand book selling for over $800.00 on Amazon.  That is the reason I called the number on her website, even though I could tell the site wasn't being maintained anymore.  She told me she happened to be walking past her phone when I called. :)  She was so sweet to me, and told me so much information.  She told me to never give up researching what is going on in this country behind the backs of the American people.  She said she would have her son check their garage where she stored the last of her books.  And that was how I got one.  She also sent me one of the abridge copies.  Which is still huge.  Without the website with the PDF file, the abridge copy doesn't have the footnotes and documents locations to see her sources.  I will treasure both books.

Dee (DLAINEDEE)

May-10

Oh no, what she unearthed and whistle blew, will blow your mind.

Yes, there was a study some years ago.  The average graduate with a 4.0, is not as educated as a 4th grader was in 1964.  Back in 2000, I was an assistant on a forum where the Wiz found an old test from the early 1900s that was given to the 8th graders at that time.  It blew our minds at how extremely hard the questions were.  None of us could answer any of those questions w/o looking them up. How sad is that...

The main reason I learned to save videos was precisely because the "Ministry of Truth" was busy scrubbing a lot of stuff from the web even years ago, so I'd learned how perishable a lot of things are. Now they are taking down videos that are evidence of war crimes and other stuff that often lets wrong-doers just get away with it, or they take things down that might have been shot by the perp of a heinous crime, and thus remove the evidence that would disprove a lot of conspiracy theories, and show everyone that "yeah, he really did it".

In reply toRe: msg 7
Showtalk
Staff

May-10

That is intentional because it’s “unfair” that some children are smarter or learn more easily than others.  It goes back to the “everyone gets a trophy” mentality.  Our schools gave up their GATE programs because parents were furious their children did not qualify.  There is also a lot of busy work given out in schools. Combine that with the new standards, like Common Core which are supposed to make school more fair, and it becomes much easier.  Colleges aren’t much better.  When I first got into teaching learning disabled children, I worked at a clinic one summer with an 18-19 year old who had finished a year at Berkeley, which is supposed to be the cream of public universities.  She said it was disappointing that it was much easier than her high school had been.  She took all AP classes and went to a rare, competitive high school.  

Cortland (KA5S)

May-10

At 75, I count myself LUCKY; I could read (according to a1958 PSAT proctor) at 800 wpm and had access to my parents college textbooks. 

I ran away from an abusive parent, and spent 21 years in communications and avionics in the Army, followed by  over 36 years as an Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineer (sans degree) working on computers, telecom digital loop equipment, defibrillators and in aerospace. 

Retired again, I was on call to work under contract, and I had a week's work in an "essential" engineering job just a few weeks ago.  Not bad, going on 76.

I've my own critique of present-day education, as our pedagogues seem bent on taking the curiosity and joy in learning out of our children.