Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you feed wild animals?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started May-14 by Showtalk; 451 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

May-14

Do you feed wild animals?
  • Yes, I leave food out in places where I know wildlife will find it1  vote
    6%
  • Yes, but just small ones like squirrels and birds3  votes
    20%
  • Only in my yard3  votes
    20%
  • I have a bird feeder3  votes
    20%
  • No, feeding wildlife is illegal1  vote
    6%
  • No, I'm not interested2  votes
    13%
  • Other2  votes
    13%
Yes, I leave food out in places where I know wildlife will find it 
Yes, but just small ones like squirrels and birds 
Only in my yard 
I have a bird feeder 
No, feeding wildlife is illegal 
No, I'm not interested 
Other 
kizmet1

May-14

When I moved in I had a very nice couple with children my age. They were an outdoor family. He and the kids hiked and skied and she was an avid gardener. They both loved wild animals and would put food out by the river for them. They said watching them was better than tv. They moved and next owner put out food for birds and squirrels. He also put an opening in his door for his big Labrador. One day he came home and the house was a mess and the dog and cat were scared. Squirrels had gotten in and made a huge mess of the whole house. That was the last time he fed anything.
Showtalk
Staff

May-14

It happens.  It is illegal to feed any wildlife in some places.  Here people don’t realize they are breaking the law by leaving peanuts for squirrels.

kizmet1

May-14

Peanuts will do it.
I don't know if we have a law here or not but the ducks would wander around looking for a treat, too. One day I was out by the front street rototilling the dirt for planting. A big white bird bounced over and started chasing me around the tiller while the engine was running. I sure was scared. A man drove by and a boy got out and started throwing rocks at the bird so I could escape to the house.
Showtalk
Staff

May-14

Geese are even worse. They can be dangerous.

Other. Only accidentally, such as when raccoons and skunks get into the food for the outdoor feral cats. I try to limit feeding times and quantity so the cats finish it off before the wildlife get to it, but I have seen some rather fat racoons waddle off the porch when I go outside unexpectedly after usual bedtime.

kizmet1

May-15

I have heard that. Much, much bigger than a duck. Funny but a woman and child walking by went went over to it and next thing I knew, it was walking off with them. Not sure what it was. Maybe a goose? Maybe dinner?
Showtalk
Staff

May-15

We had a fat mama raccoon and several babies follow her through the yard.  I was very glad my dogs were inside.  They look so soft and cute but they are deadly.  

Yesterday my dogs rousted skunk out of the bushes, but I smelled a little leakage before they got close enough and got them inside quickly.  Fortunately, they decided to listen to me rather than corner it.  We don’t usually get them anymore since I got my working dog. He marks that area so they stay away. 

kizmet1

May-15

You were lucky, very lucky.
On a large group camping and rafting trip to central OR one woman brought her adorable Sheltie and a very long rope. It was not the first time. The dog met a skunk and went home pink from the tomato juice. The woman's hs nephew who had practically grown up there and knew better, was too lazy to walk to the restroom at night so he used the bushes, surprised a skunk and also ended up with a red bath.
Do you keep tomato juice handy?

Yes, I've seen how much damage a raccoon can do. One of my uncles used to trap critters for fur, and one morning there was a raccoon in a cage trap. It was NOT happy. I was maybe 10 or so, and he said those things can bite the crap out of you. I poked a stick bigger than my thumb through the cage mesh and that thing bit the stick in two like it was a carrot and continued to growl and hiss.

I've always kept my distance from them since.

I have seen "El Gato Grande'" from a distance, and a couple of times crossing a road pretty close. Mountain lions, puma, cougar, various names they are called, and they roam all over North and South America from the tip of Argentina all the way into the sub-Arctic, even varieties in the tropics.

I've seen tracks on the property, and a Millennial acquaintance via the electronics industry in the area has spotted them as well since she started rural homesteading. There have been sightings right in the middle of Odessa. I saw one about 25 years ago emerge from tall grass right at the edge of the UTPB campus. It was near an intersection, watching the traffic light. When it turned red to stop the cross traffic, and the pedestrian walk signal came on, this enormous cat just got up and padded right across 5 lanes of cars, and vanished down an alley among a row of dumpsters.

I've never encountered one really up close, but about 2 years ago I was bringing my ex home from one of her many doctor appointments one February afternoon just before sunset, and I saw what looked like a housecat at first just go right between the barbed wire strands on the fence enclosing the road, and pad across the road about 1/4 mile in front of us. That's when I could clearly see it was no housecat. It was a tawny color with a tail a good 3 feet long, enormous paws, and the whole cat tail and all was a good 6 feet.

It just went right through the barbed wire fence on the opposite side into the brush, going between the wire strands, without ever breaking stride.

She saw that just as I said "look at the real big kitty". She did a double-take, and the entire sighting was over in just a few seconds. She asks "what was THAT?" - I said it sure looked like a mountain lion.

Now speaking of mountain lions, there's this Russian couple who adopted one from a zoo where it was born. The big cat has some birth defects and needs a lot of attention. It lives with them like a 100 pound house cat, and has kind of become a YouTube star. He will curl up with them and purr a very deep purr, and he tolerates all sorts of medical procedures that have to be done, that most ordinary house cats won't.

Generally a mountain lion shouldn't be a pet. But these two are becoming wildlife veterinarians. They've trained the cat with a dog obedience school, and it has grown up around people. The cat thinks he's just a funny shaped dog. There's footage where he has been to a car dealership and everyone was taking selfies with him, and even a Japanese film crew that did a feature involving him.

Mountain lions can meow and purr because they are part of the Felidae family (or maybe genus), and have the proper vocal cord structure for it. The puma or mountain lion, is the largest member of the Felidae. Larger big cats such as lions and tigers, are of the Panthera family.