Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What kind of mask do you wear when you have to come in proximity to others?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started May-14 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 4277 views.
MerlinsDad

Jun-30

I take breaks often to get fresh air.

Yes. Virus particles are smaller than a wavelength of visible light. They pass right through filters that stop bacteria, dust, and smoke particles.

But masks do stop droplets that are loaded with virus particles. Mostly they stop your own droplets, if you're infected and don't know it, from being launched out into the surrounding air.

A dry virus particle can be kept aloft by Brownian molecular movement even with no wind, much like how tiny dust particles stay aloft in a sunbeam.

The other thing masks do is they (for most people) keep them from easily touching their face with their hands.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-2

They stop some but not all. Masks were design to stop bacteria particles which are larger than viruses.

Showtalk said:

Masks were design to stop bacteria particles which are larger than viruses.

Bacteria particles are about a thousand times larger diameter than viruses. Good comparison is a BB (virus) versus a school bus (bacteria).

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-5

Which is why the masks stop busses but not BBs.

But the virus laden droplets are like buses with BBs stuck inside like on the floor of a typical movie theater with the spilled soda pop that congeals into syrup to hang onto spilled popcorn and dropped change.

So the mask still stops the droplets even if it won't stop loose viruses, and that can bring the viral load below what is needed to get a severe infection

And if you are infected and don't know it, the mask stops your droplets from being sprayed a long ways away to infect that little old lady from Pasadena that is trying to pick up her prescription and get a fresh rutabaga at the market.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

Hal! Do people eat rutabagas?

I don't know - I've never actually seen one in a supermarket, even when I've shopped some of the smaller ethnic ones and stumbled on some interesting stuff to try.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

I might have and not recognized it.