Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What kind of mask do you wear when you have to come in proximity to others?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started May-14 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 4283 views.
Showtalk said:

I saw a news story on stupid criminals. Although there is the question of how intelligent a burglar is anyway. A some point in their lives it was a career choice. The story was about recidivism and the very stupid mistakes some criminals make in being released on zero bail, going out and committing more crimes and then posting about it on social media.

Oh, yeah. We even have some radio show hosts that pick a "stupid criminal" story to read just about every morning.

There was one, where a "mental giant" thought he could steal an ATM machine.

So he looped a chain around the thing, hooked it to his back bumper, got about 10 feet of slack, put it in gear, and floored it.

The pickup hit the end of that chain. It yanked the bumper completely off. The dude panicked and fled, leaving behind the chain still attached to the ATM machine, and his rear bumper complete with license plate.

Showtalk
Staff

May-19

No sense of logic at all.

Well, it probably made perfect sense to the perp, although it doesn't make sense to anyone else :)

Showtalk
Staff

May-19

Twisted or immature logic.

or both. Much like the logic a defendant used which led to a trial I watched in 1986 in a small town.

The defendant and a couple of his buddies were out on some rural road in the middle of nowhere, high as kites, and likely also quite drunk. In his inebriated state, the defendant or one of his buddies - it never truly was clear at trial who was driving - ran the car off the road, where it promptly got stuck to the axles in a plowed cotton field.

These "brilliant minds", not wanting to risk just calling for a wrecker to drag them back onto the road, walked about a half mile to a farmstead, and in a stroke of genius "borrowed" a tractor. They pulled the car back onto the road, and in another flash of inspiration, returned the tractor to where they had "borrowed" it.

Now at that point, my guess is, the farmer might have not really noticed, or reported anything amiss.

But suddenly the defendant realized in a panicked state that he had left fingerprints all over the tractor, as well as hair and fiber. Now at we want to point out that the tractor was in a shed. Along with a bunch of hay and right beside a bunch of other stuff.

So the defendant ran back, determined to not be caught by errant fingerprints. So he found a can of gasoline, slopped it all over the tractor seat and steering wheel and other surfaces he had touched, and lit it.

The tractor, the shed, and a whole bunch of stuff around it burned to the ground. It did at least a quarter million dollars in damage.

Of course now, the smoke could be seen going into the clear sky for many miles, and there was a massive response to the scene. And it was a few minutes after that, where our budding Einstein was observed driving erratically down the road by sheriff's deputies following firefighters and other first responders to the scene.

All of the car occupants blew something around .200 or so, and a significant amount of residue and paraphanalia for the partaking of "schedule 1 controlled substance" were found in the vehicle.

The defendant, who actually had fingerprints survive the fire, and whose shoe prints matched the prints left in the plowed field complete with unique forensically matched wear patterns, which the state exhibited both as plaster casts and photographs of tracks in the field as well as high resolution photographs of the defendants' shoes.

The defendant had an extensive juvenile record of assorted petty thefts, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, and possession of various substances, all of which because his Mommie Dearest was a fairly wealthy and influential person, had helped him get off the hook with a slap on the wrist up until now. Because now the defendant was nearly 19.

So now he was tried as an adult. The evidence was pretty much slam-dunk. The jury didn't quite believe some of the "if the glove won't fit you must acquit" tactics that proved successful a decade later in the murder trial of a certain football star and celebrity, and it didn't take a year of wall to wall television news coverage, either.

The jury convicted him of first degree arson in barely an hour of deliberation, as well as guilty on a few other charges just to make sure he was going to go away for a while. Then the penalty phase - he got 10 years.

Mommie Dearest was all beside herself. She did that classic swoon and had to be carried down the stairs from the courtroom. Her pwecious widdle baby could not have possibly done such a horrible thing.

Turns out the defendant wasn't quite so dramatic. All his buddies were already long term residents of the Texas Department of Corrections, so he couldn't wait for the prison bus to come and take him to live with them and reminisce about all the "good times" they had together.

The reason I saw that trial was I was doing a computer programming gig for the DA's office there, to automate the process of dealing with a huge backlog of hot checks. It was pretty interesting to see how one of the biggest criminal cases that decade went down.

Showtalk
Staff

May-20

A case of stupidity that exploded from a small incident into a huge crime.

Yep. Incredible stupidity. Reminds me of a country-western song that has gotten a lot of airplay in the past year in the pre-pandemic era, which has this recurring line "What was I thinking?" as he outlines all sorts of stupid things he apparently did, that a reasonable and prudent person would have handled the situation a whole lot differently.

This

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrimeAfterCrime

always reminds me of those people who went to prison from stuff that escalated from merely running off the road while under the influence. Because even 27 year old me, reading about the case, knew that if they'd just left the car there and walked the 7 miles or so back to town, and slept off the drunk and the high, they could have just gone and retrieved the vehicle the next day and not even gotten busted for DUI, or really gotten busted for anything.

Heck, they could have even just politely knocked on the door and asked the farmer for help getting their car back on the road, and it wouldn't have likely cost them anything out of pocket or any hassle.

But that is the nature of mind-altering substances. They do change how one's cognition, reasoning, and decision making abilities work.

Heck, I made a few screwups and miscalculations in my mis-spent youth, but I guess not being impaired, and a little critical thinking let me get away with a lot of stuff without even anyone knowing in most cases that anything untoward had happened, or nothing that would impact anyone else's life in a negative manner.

Alfi (THIALFI)

May-20

And now the rest of the story: He did it to escape his mother.

Showtalk
Staff

May-20

He might have!

Certainly could have. Gotta cut that umbilical cord eventually.