Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should hash oil manufacturers be shut down after Ball of Fire explosion?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started May-18 by Showtalk; 694 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

May-18

Should hash oil manufacturers be shut down after Ball of Fire explosion?
  • Yes!2  votes
    18%
  • Maybe1  vote
    9%
  • No2  votes
    18%
  • I don't know3  votes
    27%
  • Does anyone need hash oil?3  votes
    27%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes! 
Maybe 
No 
I don't know 
Does anyone need hash oil? 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

May-18

BWArtist

May-18

Coal mines and hash production plants should be confined outside the city limits. Preferably way  out somewhere in the desert. With there own fire department.

Showtalk
Staff

May-18

Like meth labs?  This one was right in Los Angeles, and apparently extremely dangerous.  I can’t speak about coal mines because I don’t know much about them.

BWArtist

May-19

Coal mines blow up too and have been approved as a legal industry. Just as legal industrial cannabis operations that are as explosive too. Only with hash oil, locating such an operation in a urban area was an optional choice. It should be limited to rural locations and the company should be required to fund their own fire department.

Showtalk
Staff

May-19

That is a good idea.

We have a lot of refineries and petrochemical processing facilities out here. They work with highly flammable materials at elevated temperatures and pressures, in volumes enough to fill dozens of Olympic swimming pools.

They've learned how to safely work with this stuff.

And suburban sprawl has grown pretty close to some of these, but there are safety regulations concerning minimum acreage of buffer zone that they must have surrounding these facilities that are proportionate to the quantity of stuff in place.

Hash oil is really about like cooking oil, maybe more like diesel fuel. The processors need to study how the oil and gas industry safety protocols are designed.

My guess is a lot of corners were cut because, well, it takes time and money to do proper process facility engineering.

I had to study a lot of that while building a small fuel ethanol still about 40 years ago, and most of it involved containment and ways to quickly stop the flow of material to not fuel a fire, segregation of materials so a spill could not produce a fire that could spread to other stored product or feedstocks.

What I did was just put berms and walls between parts of the process that could fully contain a spill, and contain a fire so in a worst case, that "cell" could just burn itself out and not affect adjacent areas.

Showtalk said:

This one was right in Los Angeles, and apparently extremely dangerous.

Most people don't know it but Los Angeles also has a huge producing oil field right in its midst. There are a lot of fake office buildings in LA that have a facade on the outside, and have either wellheads or pre-treatment facilities inside. The safety record is good enough that most of the hipsters that go right past them have no clue (and would probably have a total panic attack if they found out) what lurks behind some of those buildings.

Showtalk
Staff

May-22

A refinery blew up some years ago. I forget where, exactly but I remember the story of a fireball shooting down the street.

Showtalk
Staff

May-22

They also have a tar pit.