Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are places of worship of all faiths essential services?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started May-18 by Showtalk; 3590 views.
Showtalk
Staff

May-25

They will not close again.  They will distance or a,low fewer people but they will not stop meeting.  The one I heard about actually told people that services next month are only for the young and healthy.  Everyone else is asked to watch from home.

Showtalk
Staff

May-25

Well this is sad. I just got notification that my friend who had a service dog has passed away from an illness, not COVID. She was early 50s.  She was doing alright, then suddenly lost her memory and went downhill almost immediately.  The dog has been retired as it isn't young enough to be reassigned, so it will become her children’s very well trained pet dog. I’m not sure why I’m posting this in the church discussion except there can’t be a memorial service.

Jeri (azpaints)

May-25

We will see, but I'm betting ahy church with an outbreak will close.

Jeri (azpaints)

May-25

My sympathies.  It's so hard to lose friends.  I hope her dog makes a new loving family member with her kids.  Wow, that sounds so sad for her family!

MerlinsDad

May-25

I think we're seeing a shift in attitude about religious background, which I'm glad to see.  Here, however, it's still pretty much Southern Baptist.  When a politician talks about God or a religious holiday or even offers comfort in a tragedy, he or she speaks a well understood language. 

Jeri (azpaints)

May-25

I think that most of the country is moving off the religious discrimination.  It is a well understood language...

Showtalk
Staff

May-25

The dog was part of her family but always working so they could not play with it. Now they can.  She had a debilitating  illness and went downhill very fast. Something neurological as a result of a medical condition.  I hope they can have some kind of online memorial.

MerlinsDad

May-25

Showtalk says: "Mid so, then demanding Trump have a history of church attendance would seem somewhat hypocritical. "

You seem to follow the axiom that "an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."  And you could probably develop a persuasive argument on that premise.

I would contend, however, that in this case, an absence of evidence could very well imply an absence.  The lack of a history of church attendance for a politician seems unusual.  Trump's lack of empathy seems to imply an individual with little grounding in "love thy neighbor as thyself."  There is simply too much ambiguity regarding his religious sensibilities to believe that the old axiom applies in this situation.  There is nothing in the past 1222 days which indicates that Trump possesses even a modicum of religious sensibilities.  Trump's association with fundamentalists and evangelicals seems more political than religious  As you suggest, "Religion is a deeply personal and private belief," but an absence of religious sensibilities implies an absence of religious faith. 

Showtalks says "He should not have to justify his faith or his attendance, nor should Pelosi." 

I would suggest that its not a question of justification, it's a question of demonstrating even the most fundamental knowledge of religion.  I suggest Pelosi does. 

Showtalk says "Perhaps her pro abortion stance is only for political reasons, but saying that is the same thing as questioning Trump’s faith."

No.  You're questioning one's ability to hold two seemingly contrary statements at once, even for political reasons,  I suggest we are all capable of it and do it often; our political choices are often based on such contradictions.  I am questioning whether or not Trump has demonstrated sufficient awareness of even the language of religion sensibility to conclude that he has religious faith.

Showtalk says " Didn’t we just have that discussion about going to church is not necessary to be a Christian? "

If I recall correctly, I was talking about attendance in a particular set of circumstances. 

Showtalk
Staff

May-25

It’s not possible to be a practicing Catholic and actively pro abortion. The two are mutually exclusive. Somewhere a priest would need to make a decision and  I have not heard of the church changing its stance on it.  

It seems like a lot of energy is being directed toward Trump’s personal beliefs that are really no one’s business but his, and a lot of excuses about why the media needs to know.  The standards for politicians are so inconsistent it no longer makes sense.  Basically a Democrat with an inconsistent belief system is given a pass, where Trump never is. I never talked about him or thought about him as much as you and some other have and still do. It is exhausting.  I don’t know how anyone (not you but anyone in general) can spend so much time and energy agonizing over his inconsistencies beliefs, lack of beliefs or tweet.  There would not be enough hours in the day for me to spend that much time on it.

• Edited May 25, 2020 11:06 pm  by  Showtalk
Jeri (azpaints)

May-25

It's my understanding that Nancy Pelosi supports a woman's right to choose as a legal stance, separate from her personal religious beliefs.   Our constitution says that the government (which includes Congress) cannot support a particular religion.  IMPO Pelosi is taking the correct stance since arguing against abortion as a Congressional officer would be supporting a religious belief as a government representative that is not universally held by all citizens, thus forcing a religious belief on citizens whose religion does not support that position.