Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you Comfortable with Trump taking Malaria Drug?   The Serious You: Politics

Started May-18 by BWArtist; 4496 views.
Jeri (azpaints)

May-29

I ran, with full powers, Glens 9 forums for several months as he was fighting to get well.  Plus all the PMs from members asking when he was coming back, how he was, what was going on, offers of help  on top of the normal forum business  PMs.  Then thetoughjob of shutting them down....

Showtalk
Staff

May-29

That is hard.

Jeri (azpaints) said:

Anti vaxxers deserve what they get EXCEPT they risk everyone who can't be vaccinated.

and their kids, who are trapped in the gravity of the parents' madness for the next 18 years or so.

Sometimes the kids of such cultists make it by being lucky, but sometimes they never live long enough to escape due to dying of some preventable or treatable disease.

Showtalk
Staff

May-29

Children who are at risk should not be vaccinated but they are protected when most everyone else has been.  I understand the theory behind anti vax but I’m not willing to risk it.  

Jeri (azpaints) said:

Whew! I hare drop in guests! It's my brother's favorite way to get my goat!

And maybe a few chickens and a hog or two as well?

Showtalk
Staff

May-30

Do you have livestock? If I had your property, I would. I’d even have a horse,

I have had goats in the past. They are very efficient at clearing weeds and other wildfire fuel out of the under growth, and keep the bramble bushes under control even when I'm too busy to mow or chop weeds. By keeping the brush under control they leverage my time, as while I'm working, they are clearing weeds. When I'm sleeping, they are often up and about at dawn munching weeds and adding soil fertilizer wherever they go.

Since they prefer weeds and thorny bushes, and grass only after, they can transform rough scrub brush into a pretty nice lawn.

But they destroy gardens if they can get into it.

Showtalk
Staff

May-30

Dn’t they destroy anything they can get to? Not just gardens but hedges and other friendly plantings.

• Edited May 30, 2020 4:53 pm  by  Showtalk

They are generally browsers. So they'll eat almost anything they can reach, but they will learn to leave things alone that really taste bad (or hot).

I had some serrenno and habanero pepper plants growing in the garden one year. The Billy goat,, who we named Houdini for his expertise at opening gates and escaping any means of containment, managed to get into the garden one Saturday when I was watching. At first I grabbed a rope and was fixing to dash in there and lasso him to get him out of the garden He ambled right up to a habanero. That's when I figured, let him learn a lesson all by himself with no one around, maybe he won't forget, so I just sat and watched.

Seeing the bright red-orange fruit, he went straight for it, gobbled one of them up like it was sweet grain, and started heading for another.

Cartoon pause for about 3 seconds in mid stride as he suddenly notices the sensation in his mouth was not turning out as expected.. Add animation in to show smoke starting to come out his ears. Add a thought bubble that says something like "something's burning! Oh, Crap!" All of a sudden he lets out this frantic bleat of pain and sprints for the breached gate, then makes a beeline for the water trough.

Of course we know that water does NOT kill the burn of oleoresin capscium, especially when you're looking at somewhere around a quarter million Scoville units of heat. He still gave it a try, then once he kind of calmed down after about 30 minutes or so, acting like he's on an endorphin high, as the burning slowly dissipated, then it's time to settle down to chew his cud.

Well the second time around was at least as hot - he spit it out - repeat again. All afternoon that was one incredibly miserable billy goat. I never saw him try to get into the garden again.

Showtalk
Staff

May-30

Your poor goat.  He learned a difficult and painful lesson.