Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you in favor of eliminating the SAT and the ACT?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started May-22 by Showtalk; 192 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

May-22

Are you in favor of eliminating the SAT and the ACT?
  • Yes, the tests no longer test what they are supposed to test2  votes
    22%
  • Yes, the tests are unfair0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, both 1 and 20  votes
    0%
  • I'm not sure4  votes
    44%
  • No, it's a big business and schools need some way to eliminate applicants2  votes
    22%
  • Other1  vote
    11%
Yes, the tests no longer test what they are supposed to test 
Yes, the tests are unfair 
Yes, both 1 and 2 
I'm not sure 
No, it's a big business and schools need some way to eliminate applicants 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

May-22

Alfi (THIALFI)

May-22

I'm in favor of individual colleges each making its own judgment on the matter. In the end, the proof will be in the pudding, i.e. how well those who ARE admitted do in college. Of course, there's already rampant grade inflation, which is a separate matter.

MerlinsDad

May-22

other:

I'm not sure what standards they will now use to select students. 

Showtalk
Staff

May-22

I never cared for those tests.  When I took them, we prepped ourselves and they were a real indication of a student’s ability.  Now, anyone can pay to boost their scores hundreds of points, which makes the tests worthless as predictors.  What is different here is that it’s a whole public university system, which in essence is saying the tests are not necessary.  College Board won’t give up their cash cow, so they are creating other tests that are more racially fair.  Now, how is that possible and why is it necessary? It’s not anti- white but anti-Asian, as the students who tend as a group to do the best one testing are Asians.

Showtalk
Staff

May-22

Grades, recommendations, voluntarism and leadership, just as they do now.  Tests are only one piece of admissions process.  They also try to build diverse classes.

MerlinsDad

May-22

We'll see.

Showtalk
Staff

May-23

Yes, we will.  They will come up with something else.