Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Park confrontation    The Newsy You: News of Today

Started 5/26/20 by Showtalk; 2660 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-1

That’s graphic and terrifying.

Some people used to write fanfic in assorted genres.

kizmet1

Jun-1

Clap clap. Excellent . Have you always been a writer?
kizmet1 said:

Have you always been a writer?

Well, more of a writer wannabee.

I'd probably tweak the ending a little bit and add some earlier back story about what made the antagonist tick, maybe even some more terrifying detail about how he traded, say, drugs for weapons, and how he'd positioned himself to profit from the chaos.

Because there are plenty of shadowy type figures that are players in every major violent upheaval. There are arms brokers who sell weapons to both sides, so they make money coming and going.

There are those who will inflitrate movements and either radicalize it or do things that will paint a target on said movement, or who will set up things to frame parties on both sides for increasing atrocities, which stokes the anger and hate to a white-hot heat, well beyond when any negotiations are possible, and each side now is in the midst of a blood feud.

Once factions on both sides have lost loved ones, especially if they have lost everything already, then about all that is left is a burning desire to "just kill the bastards who killed my <fill in relatives>"

Then the instigators just melt into the shadows, because every massive government retaliation just breeds more terrorists, and every act of terrorism breeds more state sanctioned violence.

Good example now is where the Syrian government is dropping "barrel bombs" from helicopters on civilians while the rest of the world looks the other way, because atrocities have now hardened the resolve of some to resist at all costs. Many of the "terrorists" that Syria are bombing now, actually fought off Isis, and now there's a kind of 3 way war happening there, maybe 4 or 5 way - with Turks, Russians, the remnants of Isis, and the Syrian government all wreaking murder and mayhem.

What worries me, is many who are griping about foreign refugees from Central America looking for a better life in the US now, might end up eating those words in another year when desperate people who have a price on their head for maybe their family ties, their skin color, or some other thing, mass against the borders with Canada and Mexico desperate to get in.

How many will take to the oceans in rickety inner tubes and un-seaworthy improvised watercraft to just escape the violence, knowing if they are deported back they face certain death?

The shoe may end up on the other foot if we aren't careful. People say it can't happen here. But it just hasn't happened in our lifetimes.

kizmet1

Jun-1

I have known people from the Middle East ever since I could walk. They started moving here well over 100 years ago. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that there are anti America ones who are passing as Hispanics and getting close to the border until an opportunity to sneak in to the US presents itself. Same may go for Canada.
Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-1

POTUS just announced he has called 200 military personnel to DC for riot protection and will call up as many for other cities as he thinks needed.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-1

Maybe now the violence will stop. I 

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-1

Your writing is very good. Finish it.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-1

Governor set a curfew of 8 p. And our news showed the protesters take a knee, some cops did too and the protest ended.

Yeah - more than 30 years ago, I heard from various fellow survivalist types near the Mexican border, who are far better at reading sign in the brush than I will ever hope to be, observing quite a few non-Mexican, non-Central / South American people infiltrating the country mixed with the migrant workers.

One fellow down there has vast extended family in northern Mexico, so he's very familiar with the whole migrant worker phenomena and how it has been a vital part of the economy of both nations for centuries. He said that while the US at the time didn't really give credit where credit is due, the Mexican government has stopped a LOT of terrorists from making it to US soil, from well over a decade before 9/11 up to near the present.

He had emphysema really bad last time I heard from him, and after this long my strong suspicion is he's deceased. I know for sure he was hospitalized for over a month circa 2003, and was already in failing health, although so far I haven't found an obituary.

But he's the one who set up some wildlife cameras out in the brush, and managed to catch quite a few "fit young men of military draft age" whose bearing was nothing like the migrants. He said the migrants were afraid of them, and in the days before the US government started making it far harder for people to cross back and forth, it was often migrants who would contact the Border Patrol and other federal agencies with detailed descriptions of these infiltrators.

Unfortunately, I think that since 9/11, the federal government has been too busy trying to swing its male appendage to utilize that valuable intelligence source.

Essentially that survivalist said flat out that the federal government has screwed it up again, as usual. Many of the old retired military and intelligence pros called the more promininently visible federal agents, "Freddie F'k-ups" because wherever they insert themselves into, the more they recklessly, like a loose cannon, make the people less safe from true foreign threats.