Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Park confrontation    The Newsy You: News of Today

Started 5/26/20 by Showtalk; 2987 views.
Showtalk
Staff

6/1/20

Your writing is very good. Finish it.

Jeri (azpaints)

6/1/20

Governor set a curfew of 8 p. And our news showed the protesters take a knee, some cops did too and the protest ended.

Yeah - more than 30 years ago, I heard from various fellow survivalist types near the Mexican border, who are far better at reading sign in the brush than I will ever hope to be, observing quite a few non-Mexican, non-Central / South American people infiltrating the country mixed with the migrant workers.

One fellow down there has vast extended family in northern Mexico, so he's very familiar with the whole migrant worker phenomena and how it has been a vital part of the economy of both nations for centuries. He said that while the US at the time didn't really give credit where credit is due, the Mexican government has stopped a LOT of terrorists from making it to US soil, from well over a decade before 9/11 up to near the present.

He had emphysema really bad last time I heard from him, and after this long my strong suspicion is he's deceased. I know for sure he was hospitalized for over a month circa 2003, and was already in failing health, although so far I haven't found an obituary.

But he's the one who set up some wildlife cameras out in the brush, and managed to catch quite a few "fit young men of military draft age" whose bearing was nothing like the migrants. He said the migrants were afraid of them, and in the days before the US government started making it far harder for people to cross back and forth, it was often migrants who would contact the Border Patrol and other federal agencies with detailed descriptions of these infiltrators.

Unfortunately, I think that since 9/11, the federal government has been too busy trying to swing its male appendage to utilize that valuable intelligence source.

Essentially that survivalist said flat out that the federal government has screwed it up again, as usual. Many of the old retired military and intelligence pros called the more promininently visible federal agents, "Freddie F'k-ups" because wherever they insert themselves into, the more they recklessly, like a loose cannon, make the people less safe from true foreign threats.

Showtalk
Staff

6/2/20

You are lucky. I watch NYC being torn apart last night.  I had to turn it of.

I need to. I'd have probably been suspended if I were in school these days and turned in the following as a creative writing assignment.

---

LaShonda looked ahead down the Interstate highway in alarm. She was already running late to her shift at the hospital due to traffic and rioters blocking roads, and another text said two more ambulances packed with seriously injured had just pulled up at the E.R. Infection protocol went out the window for mass casualties. Just load em and haul em.

The crowd just appeared over the next overpass, thousands in an angry mob surrounding cars and blocking traffic. Then it happened. Someone stood directly in front of a stopped pickup truck up ahead and pointed what looked like a pistol at the driver as he desperately tried to make a U turn and flee.

The driver panicked and ducked. With a screech of tires, the gunman bounced off the grille, firing a wild shot reflexively as he vanished beneath it. Hearing the shot, most of the rioters ran for cover. The truck's rear swung sideways in a cloud of burning rubber, as he exploited its slide to spin the vehicle around, sending two more protestors sprawling. A third grabbed its tailgate and tried to climb on.

A protestor only three feet from LaShonda's window glared at her with rage, raising some object as if to throw it, just as the stray bullet took the top off of his head. Blood, brain tissue, and skull fragments sprayed her window.

The terrified pickup driver continued to accelerate past her as the crowd scattered, but one clung to his passenger side view mirror.

Bubba's pulse raced. His ears still rang from the shot that had miraculously missed him. The gunman lay still in the road, a tire track crossing his chest like a sash. From reflex or something, his dying finger squeezed the trigger one final time. A puff of smoke, shrinking with speed, erupted from the weapon and gunman receding quickly in his rearview mirror.

A hole appeared in LaShonda's windshield, cracks spiderwebbing away, as a bullet ripped through her passenger seat, then lodged somewhere in the trunk. Everyone had scattered.

Bubba's speedometer kept climbing - 40 miles an hour and rising. The mob fell behind.

A lone protestor in the bed of the truck first pounded on its rear glass, to be rewarded with it braking hard, swerving almost sideways back and forth, then accelerating again in a desperate attempt to shake him off. He leaped over the side for the grass, but found forty-five mile per hour pavement instead. He slid, and rolled a hundred feet to a stop, leaving behind several pounds of flesh and most of his clothing as if it had been taken off with a huge piece of sandpaper.

Accelerating to seventy, Bubba was startled by an apparition of a face glaring into his window, shouting something in rage. An arm flailed and pounded at it. Twenty-five year old news footage of Reginald Denny dragged from his vehicle in Los Angeles and beaten within an inch of his life flashed in his mind's eye.

No. He steeled his resolve. Never again. His reptilian brain section was still in control. Me prey. Him predator. Must remove predator to live.

Ahead was a large road sign a few feet off the shoulder, on level ground. He swerved all the way into the bar ditch, aiming his side view mirror at the sign to miss its steel post by three inches.

At seventy-five miles per hour, it flashed past. With loud splat like a watermelon dropped from a 3rd floor balcony, accompanied by a spray of raw hamburger, the final rioter vanished.

He checked the rearview again, veering back onto the highway. He saw in slow motion, the road sign with attached post rotate horizontally, suspended in mid-air. It was visibly bent, a red stain at its bend. The sign continued to somersault just past three-quarters of a turn, as it sank towards the ground. The laws of physics, conservation of angular momentum, finally dissipated into soil as it at last dropped to earth in a small cloud of dust and grass.

He had liked that truck. Vito at his little shop that never closed during the coronavirus lockdowns as he never advertised, would give him maybe fifty dollars for it, as is, no questions asked, and make it disappear as parts over the next few weeks. He'd report it stolen once everything incriminating had been crushed and melted down.

Jeri (azpaints)

6/2/20

They were peacefully protesting again this AM NY. People need to get back to work...less time for this stupidity (spelled bs).

Showtalk
Staff

6/2/20

But you aren’t in school now.  You need to finish your stories and publish.

Showtalk
Staff

6/2/20

Peaceful is fine.  But our law enforcement is spending all their time on protests now.  My nurse friend said her ER was empty last night when she walked through during her shift.  She had no patients all night. People are afraid to go anywhere, especially a city hospital.

Jeri (azpaints)

6/2/20

The ER here at noon Friday was so full, my "exam room" was three curtains.  No phone, no tv, no privacy, one of the other patients was a middle aged drunk man who wondered into other "rooms" asking for  drink, the lady next to me was eventually restrained due to mental issues.  I got to the ER at 12:30 pm and got a room at about 11 pm.  I got the last available room.  Ambulances were coming in to transport others needing admission to the other hospitals.   I agree LE has better things to do!  So do the EMTs treating smoke inhalation!

Showtalk
Staff

6/3/20

Your city isn’t full of violent protestors.  Her hospital is near one of the hot zone areas, but not in the middle of it.