Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are horse trainers and handlers essential workers?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started May-28 by Showtalk; 271 views.
Showtalk
Staff

May-28

A friend trains horses for other people. Other than a quick thank you for a birthday card, I haven’t heard a word from her since early March.  Someone told me since the stables are closed, she is feeding, grooming, training and riding all the horses her clients own plus her own horses.  Wouldn’t it seem essential that the owners also come in and help?  I hope she is getting paid a lot to do all that work.  Most of her clients are teenagers and young adults.

Jeri (azpaints)

May-28

No.  Horses require close contact and 6' distance would be hard.  Plus the items used in horse care are not easily disinfected.  My DD went and helped her trainers two weekends, but took all her own equipment so she didn't touch theirs.   Plus in many states barns were specifically closed.  A couple of friends of ours are in her position with no help, another one has enough room, she allowed a couple of teens to "quarantine " at her house in exchange for free lessons, food and internet.  

Showtalk
Staff

May-28

So she is stuck. She teaches showing and jumping, and the horses need to be worked.  Parents buy their children untrained horses, so they can have a lot of fears or bad habits when she gets them.  She has to do all the training and keep it up so they don’t backslide.  If the fall horse show isn’t cancelled, they need to be ready to go when the stable opens again.  She isn’t young either.  She must be exhausted.  
Not only that, if a horse needs any medical testing, she has to drive them out to the testing vet.

• Edited May 28, 2020 11:29 pm  by  Showtalk
Jeri (azpaints)

May-28

She's got a tough job!  Hunter jumper parents are a whole different  world.  Win at all costs or else!

Showtalk
Staff

May-28

Yes. They pay tens of thousands for unproven horses.  She has not had one she could not train.  As for the teens, she is tough on them and requires them to do the work, usually.

Jeri (azpaints)

May-28

That's the best way to teach.  Our first trainer used to pull one tail hair from the horse every time a kid fell off.  When she got 9 hairs for a kid, she'd braid them in a French braid and make a bracelet for the kids that earned the 9 hairs.  She had her routine down "Are you okay?  Let's go get your hair!"  

Showtalk
Staff

May-29

She said no horse,which she did not recommend buying,was so challenging , it would not walk by a strange horse.  So she made them go to a crowded show and walk the grounds with the horse and her. Eventually the horse got used to it and calmed down.  That is the opposite of what you do with a reactive dog.  You train from a distance and gradually increase exposure.

With dogs, a lot of people want to train only with treats. With horses, some of the methods seem harsh to me but they aren’t harmful and they work. Positive vs negative reinforcements.

Jeri (azpaints)

May-29

Our horse got badly knocked into and was the same way.  We got 3 friends and started out grazing side by side, then walking side by side, then riding and then had the others ride towards us passing closely, then come up behind and pass closely.  There are similarities in training, soft voice, harsh voice, positive praise, pets.  But a ton of differences!

Jeri (azpaints)

May-29

OT:  Remember the switch from Classic to Zeta?  FB just rolled out their NEW format!  Thank heavens the gave me the option to stay Classic!  Can't wait to see how my friends react.

Showtalk
Staff

May-29

If a horse is aggressive she said they use something to hit it with. Some rolled thing?  Not hard but enough to show the horse to change its behavior. I didn’t really understand and didn’t ask for details.  Typically trainers don’t hit dogs anymore at all. It’s not effective and not a good method.

I talked to another horse friend today. She is at a more family oriented, fun stable for trail riding.  She said they had a party this week with food and non distancing.  Apparently they are all there daily taking care of their horses, so they’ve all been exposed to each other.