Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The First Amendment and Protesting   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jun-2 by Jeri (azpaints); 490 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-3

They want us to think it’s only about race, but there are other factors in play.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-3

No, but is important that people realize they have NO control over the evolution of the peaceful protests they thought they were attending.  Violence is unacceptable in all circumstances for any reason and I certainly did not think my pist implied I found it okey.

kizmet1

Jun-3

Of course there are but no one pays attention until "race" is called.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-3

So you are kind of saying no one should peacefully protest or that there is no such thing. It’s almost like blaming the victim.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-3

Actually, yes I am a bit anti protest.  I'll see if I can find my FB post which might explain how I arrived at my gut reaction to "protest".  I'm not blaming the victims just the ineffectiveness of many, if not most protests.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-3

I lived In Los Angeles when ML King's death was announced and was on a Corvette zClub ride.  All the vettes were owned by cops. 12-14 corvettes, crs on the exact number, but probably 16-17 cops.  Most LAPD, one LA County and one Van Nuys cop  The ride ended immediately and we all went home, they changed and reported to work. My best friends husband was sent to Watts, worked 3 days straight, was injured, involved in two shootings and got a medal. Oh, yes, I remember three days of cops wives and GF,s huddled around the kitchen table, praying, drinking, cussing and going dead silent when the radio announced need another cop shot. And not one thing has changed. Just been painted over.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-4

That was powerful.  It seems like a lot of people are in favor of the protests and subsequent riots, though.  I had that discussion over the weekend with a few relatives who said everything is justified.  But none of them live in a protest zone, although they are close.  

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-4

Blacks, and other minorities have the right to be angry, frustrated, saddened, fearful and disgusted.

Their feelings are based on reality of their lives and fully justified.  Destroying property Willy nilly is not.  The owner may be racist but what if he supports their cause, is so far from racist it's not even a vague possibility?  All that accomplishes is possible turning him, his family, friends and neighbors INTO racists.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-4

Yes, I agree with all of that.

In reply toRe: msg 1
EdGlaze

Jun-12

Excerpt from arelated discussion:  Tips for protesting (legally)

5 More Tips for Protesting (Legally)
by Christopher Coble, Esq.
15 Aug 17 

In the wake of mass demonstrations during the 2016 Republican National Convention, we prepared a little primer on protest related laws. And after the tragic and horrifying events in Charlottesville, Virginia over the weekend, we thought it might be time to round up some more questions, answers, and tips for keeping your protest activities legal.

Usually, protesters are charged with:

• Trespassing
  • Disturbing the peace
  • Disorderly conduct
  • Failing to obey an officer's instruction
  • Obstruction of justice
  • Resisting arrest
  • Assault

If you get arrested while protesting, it is important to forget your First Amendment right to free speech and remember your Fifth Amendment right to silence so as to not incriminate yourself. Anything you say can be used against you. You can be charged with a crime even if you do not think you did anything wrong. Demand to speak with a lawyer and don't answer the officer's questions (apart from providing your identification).

• Edited June 13, 2020 5:13 am  by  EdGlaze