Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MerlinsDad

Jul-3

The system has worked well with a few bumps since 1789.

I guess as dictator he could also nullify the Congressional elections,  I really wonder if the Republicans would accept Trump installing himself as a dictator.  God!  I would hope not!

I also can't help but wonder if he really wants to do this again.  As he's discovered, it's about a whole lot more than just the exercise of power.  I think we'll see another crisis before November.  Perhaps one involving North and South Korea or China and Hong Kong.   

The methods by which Trump can rig the election are scary, and, as the article points out, many have already been set in motion, especially voter suppression and his railing against mail-in ballots.  I also can't imagine that COvid_19 will be under control by November which could make mail-in voting necessary in some states.   He's already started poisoning that well.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-3

I hope you're wrong.  My fear is that any conflict will encourage him to try the "wartime" presidency.  The system is great when politicians don't deliberately sabotage it.

MerlinsDad

Jul-3

That's a relief.  Perhaps that will eliminate some of the large crowds.

MerlinsDad

Jul-3

I reread the scenario.  I can see how he can do it and probably receive the support of Barr and maybe even the Republicans in Congress, even though everyone knows it's a ploy.  With the administration his, I don't see any barriers

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-3

Yes.  Barr and the Congress are key.  I do think some R Congressman would stop him because of their own aspirations.  

MerlinsDad

Jul-3

I find it surprising that there seems to be such a strong inclination towards authoritarianism in the American electorate.  The mechanism of our political system is not geared to dealing with what amounts to a coup d'etat, and because it isn't, it might work.  One would like to think that our other branches of government would immediately resist to such a violation of our elections.    But, as I said, there is greater acceptance of an autocrat than I would ever have imagined.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-3

I cannot fathom how our officials allowed this power grab to happen.  

MerlinsDad

Jul-3

Wirth doesn't talk about the role Trump's conflict with the press.  Even if the press reported what was transpiring, as they should and would, Trump has convinced a large enough number that the press is not to be trusted that the reports and editorials might gain no traction at all.  So Wirth has made an excellent observation.  Trump has managed to nullify the other branches of government and the so called fourth estate.  Of course, Stephan Bannon and the fifth estate would endeavor to neutralize the legitimate reporting of the news media.  We knew when we started talking about deconstructing the government in favor of a tyrant that his name would pop up.

MerlinsDad

Jul-3

Because the officials of which you speak are loyalists:  Barr, the Supreme Court (although John Roberts might be the joker in the deck), the Republican Senate run by McConnell (who might even lose the election).  Because we don't have a mechanism by which we can avoid such a takeover (Age of Enlightenment presupposed that men would act rationally), the only barrier would be the House of Representatives.  You know what slurs and aspirations he would cast at them and an effort to neutralize any opposition to setting himself up as tyrant.  But at every step of the way, elected officials would have to violate their oath of office to permit this to happen.  An, yet, I can imagine that happening.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-3

My husband and I were talking last week about the press.  All I of our local stations including Fox have skeleton crews with most personnel working from home.  We have a couple of weather forecasters with real senses of humor so some of the background green screens they are using can be really funny.  One puts a different art piece on the wall over his shoulder and viewers are encouraged to call in and name it.  Tonight it was a Kokopeli, last week he had a saddle pad hanging on the wall.  He's had pics of the Supreme Court, Sandra Day OConnor, Lincoln, his dream if a car (Lamborghini).