Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MerlinsDad

Jul-7

Monday

Atlanta had a bad weekend -- the gov says there were 30  people shot and 5 deaths from gunshot over the three day weekend.  He has declared a state of emergency and called in 1000 national guard troopers. 

And Mayor Bottoms announced that she has tested positive for coronavirus. 

Of course, there's going to be conflict.  The mayor is a Democrat (and supposedly was on Biden's list for VP) and the guv is Republican. 

On a positive note, he made a statewide 2 day tour encouraging people to wear masks.

Slightly over 1500 new cases today, after more than 2000 yesterday.  18 deaths after 1 and 3 Saturday and SUnday.  Probably a reporting update.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-7

A little child was shot. I cried when I heard that.  It’s tragic.

MerlinsDad

Jul-7

Tuesday

Georgia became the 9th state to go over 100,000 coronavirus cases today with a total of 100,470.

3406 new cases today. (3472 on July 2, so almost a new high) -- trend is up, up, up. 

Only 21 deaths, so the 14 day average is relatively stable.

134 new hospitalizations.  2906 current hospital cases.  That trend is also up.

The governor is wearing a mask and encouraging people to wear masks.

Trump's push to open schools really worries me.

Local school system (the county I live in)

Gwinnett County Public Schools made two big decisions regarding its back to school plans during special meeting Tuesday.

The state’s largest school district said it is pushing back its start date from Aug. 5 to Aug. 12 and will make masks mandatory.

All employees, students and visitors will be required to wear masks with exceptions given for health reasons.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-7

I can't imagine schools blindly following DTs advice on reopening.  We are set to reopen August 15, but from what I've heard most will be online.  

The decision of ICE to force foreign students to return home if their colleges go online is asinine, impo.

MerlinsDad

Jul-7

I think local systems will take control of when the schools open, regardless of what Trump says.  Their responsibilities are too great to deal with this casually.  We need to watch this closely.  In the early stages of the virus, it was said that children carriers.  I presume that is still true, which endanger staff and faculty and parents.

The international students are in a terrible situation.

According to the Migration Policy Institute, a think tank based in Washington, DC, about 1.2 million students who fall under the affected visas were enrolled and registered at more than 8,700 schools nationwide as of March 2018.   https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/politics/international-college-students-ice-online-learning/index.html

The sheer logistics of deporting that many seem overwhelming.

I saw a brief article which said that many of the major schools were working on plans to protect the students.  This will probably filter its way to all universities which have foreign students in danger of being deported.  We also need to try to keep an eye of this, also.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-7

I believe ASU has 10,000+ foreign students.  Heck, n 1963 my little farm town college had over 500!  

MerlinsDad

Jul-8

Everything I read talks about how much this could hurt the US short term and long term.  Think how much ASU would lose in tuition income, and how the students bring into the general economy of Phoenix and Arizona. 

I know that Trump has been hostile towards immigrants since taking office (and actually used hatred of immigrants to attract votes), but this seems to be unnecessarily cruel.  It seems something of a alternative means to inflame that hatred after the Supreme Court's ruling on DACA.

I saw a brief statement that this is one way to get the universities to comply with his efforts to ignore the coronavirus and "open" the country:  "punish the students," a corollary to his demand that the schools must "open." 

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-8

A school official posted on a parent forum that LAUSD will reopen even thought 36% of its staff don’t feel safe.  80% of the parents want schools to reopen. That is the second largest school district in the country.  If they can do it, every district will likely follow.  Now we know who caved first...the parents!

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-8

Look at my Phase 4 reopening poll. NY is allowing all colleges to reopen.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-8

I suspect, not to defend him, that actual attendance has probably be been in the student visa regulations for quite awhile.  That said, it would be extremely easy to waive that requirement for one year.  Failure to do so wii have some very unintended consequences.