Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MerlinsDad

Jul-15

I think you're right.  I took a look at the other "hot spots."  Florida's data appears to be a little wonky.  https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-positivity-rate-florida-paints-rosy-pandemic-picture-20200715-cpwwngaefzdnpitbs7buh7zsei-story.html

Hard to tell what their positivity rate really is. 

The upshot of both factors is that the rate of positive tests, as quoted by the state, could make the situation look significantly better than it is, experts say.

How much the rate would change, if calculated differently, is impossible to know because the state refuses to release key pieces of raw data.

“There is a peculiar odor around the data in Florida and there has been for some time,” said Dr. William Hanage, associate professor of epidemiology at Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-15

AZ data is definitely wonky.  Our lab here doesn't report all weekend numbers until Monday it Tuesday.   Maricopa county only has room for 156 more bodies.  What a disgusting statistics.  

MerlinsDad

Jul-15

Disgusting and scary at the same time.

MerlinsDad

Jul-15

More about Trump and China from CNN's email news update "Meanwhile in America."  No link

Let’s dispense with the idea that Donald Trump cares about democracy in Hong Kong.

The US President spent three years dazzled by Xi Jinping, and told the Chinese President last year that he’d keep quiet about Hong Kong's protests while they were talking trade. But the coronavirus crisis has quickened a reordering of the global balance of power -- and now Trump has a political incentive to be the tough-on-China populist he promised to be back in 2016.

With the world fixated on public health and America's reputation shredded by its world-worst response to Covid-19, Beijing sees an opening. It’s spitting back at US rhetoric, planting its flag everywhere in the South China Sea, bringing Hong Kong to heel and piling diplomatic pressure on Australia. 

Meanwhile, the President needs a scapegoat for his poor handling of the pandemic -- and China makes the perfect US election-year villain. This week alone, the US comprehensively rejected Beijing’s territorial claims in the South China Sea and stripped Hong Kong of trading privileges. America’s friends – like Britain, which just dumped China’s Huawei from its new 5G network -- are being forced to choose which side they want to be on.

Trump isn't worried about plunging the world’s most important bilateral relationship into years of tension: He does whatever is good for him at any given moment. But things may not improve if Joe Biden takes the oath of office next January; whoever the commander in chief, America needs a new China policy if it hopes to preserve its power in the Pacific and avoid a confrontation with the new superpower far earlier than expected.

The world may find itself in a new geopolitical epoch when it finally emerges from the pandemic

MerlinsDad

Jul-15

I'm really beginning to wonder if there is any reliable information about each state's coronavirus status

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-15

I've seen a few county numbers that seem real and one or two states, but since testing is so uneven, even the best reporting system is questionable.

MerlinsDad

Jul-15

The numbers seem plausible for several states. I just question if any state, however, really has good reporting systems in place, especially on the critical questions of deaths, positivity rate, hospitalizations, and available beds,   I guess as long as the numbers are plausible and consistent day to day that we're probably receiving the best information we can get at this chaotic time.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-15

Don't forget some deaths at home are designated as something other than Covid. Plus there are those with "colds" that weren't tested but....

Contact tracing is a real issue here.

MerlinsDad

Jul-16

We're probably never be able to include those deaths in the statistics, but, if all states are omitting them, then the numbers we receive from local news media are probably consistent throughout the nation.  I guess at this point, all I hope for is consistency day to day -- nothing too erratic.

I think I saw that contact tracing in Georgia was 8% yesterday, but I can't find the source for that information.  I will keep looking.  That means that it's a real issue here, too, especially as the number of new cases and hospitalizations continue to increase.